Ventral Hernia Repair with Mesh 2004 and Have Developed Seromas?

CT 7/2012 showed large anterior formation. First aspiration drained over 800ccs fluid, subsequent two aspirations much less with no size reduction. CT 6/2013 shows second seroma posterior to mesh, anterior seroma now larger. Original surgeon retired. Two surgeons seen reluctant to proceed after aspirations. Seroma size causing pressure and pain in abdomin and back. Where do I go for help?

Excise seroma capsule

+1

The treatment for seroma after mesh placement is to excise the capsule of the seroma and suture the space closed.  This can be done by a general surgeon or by a plastic surgeon.  I recently did one on a patient of my own with an excellent outcome.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Chronic seroma after an abdominoplasty with mesh

+1

The mesh may be causing a chronic inflammatory reaction and thus the seroma.   If the placement of a  drain does not help then the mesh and the seroma cavity will most likely need to be removed.  

Chronic abdominal seroma

+1

I would see if the retired surgeon has anyone he was referring his patients to. A board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience in reconstruction would be ideal. It sounds as if the mesh might be problematic. I would review the reason for the original surgery and if the mesh is either unnecessary or can be changed to a different type. Often, the chronic seroma capsule needs to be excised completely to get fresh tissue to start healing from scratch.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Seroma after mesh in 2004

+1

We do these procedures and can help. It will require removal of the mesh but if the hernia is not recurrent it should not be a big deal. However, if there is chronic infection present or recurrent hernia it could require placement of the mesh on the inside of the muscles and thus hospitalization after the surgery. It will require an exam and  review of the Ct scans. Based on the possibility for hospitalization you may want to go to someone locally so I would seek either a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in abdominal wall reconstruction.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

+1

It sounds like you have chronic seromas related to the mesh. This is going to require surgical intervention if drainage doesn't work.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is a problem that will have to handled by a general surgeon. If you are having trouble finding someone, best bet will be to head to the nearest University Hospital surgery clinic where there should be sufficient expertise to deal with your problem.