Can a Ventral Hernia & Diastasis Recti Be Repaired w/ Tummy Tuck?

Asked PCP re:hardness below my navel-a hernia? This way since c-sec.#2 in '98. No pain. More noticeable standing but rises when lying down if I lift my head. Seen 2 lap. surgeons, both say it's ventral, incisional or umbilical hern. & rec.mesh repair-1 says it's a 2" hole w/bowels protruding (although it's totally smooth) & other says he'd just be guessing at its size & re:whether it's fat or bowel or anything protruding 'til he's in. Could be just diast.recti? I'm ~90lbs overweight-how 2 fix?

Both ventral hernia or diastasis can be repaired at the time of tummy tuck!

+2

If you have already made the decision to undergo cosmetic tummy tuck, and are willing to pay for the elective cosmetic surgery, repair of the diastasis and/or ventral hernia is something virtually all plastic surgeons are comfortable with on their own, without having a general surgeon be part of the procedure. Many of us completed full General Surgery residencies and were certified by the American Board of Surgery before plastic surgery fellowship training and board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Thus, we are not only willing, but fully trained and capable of these repairs at the time of tummy tuck.

The additional steps necessary in repair of these issues may be minimal, and no additional charges (or insurance coverage) would be applicable. Mesh would be unnecessary in most cases, but this is a decision best made by your surgeon at the time of surgery. In my accredited office surgical facility, hernia repair or diastasis plication would be something included in the cosmetic fees (unless mesh was in fact necessary--this is something more commonly added by general surgeons performing laparoscopic repair alone; no tummy tuck).

More importantly, at 90lbs overweight, you are not the best candidate for tummy tuck, and a much higher risk for complications, hernia recurrence, or diastasis sutures tearing through (and possibly even causing a hernia). Your highest likelihood of a solid hernia or diastasis repair, as well as the safest and best cosmetic result from tummy tuck would be to lose weight first. You may even be a candidate for lap band or gastric bypass surgery to help you lose weight permanently. This would also give you life-extending health benefits. Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Ventral hernia can be repaired together with tummy tuck.

+2

Hi.

It sounds like you have a ventral hernia which should be repaired.  You do not necessarily need mesh.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck

+2

Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, if there is question of a hernia, then a CT scan will give the best information.  If you do have a hernia or just diastasis, it can be repair at the same time as tummy tuck.  However, the tummy tuck will not be covered by insurance.  Some plastic surgeons, like myself, are double board certified in both plastic surgery and general surgery.  In these cases, we perform both the hernia repair and the tummy tuck.  In other situations, you may need two surgeons - one for the hernia and one for the tummy tuck.  In most cases, if you are having a tummy tuck at the same time as hernia repair, then you will not need mesh.  However, without examining you and seeing the CT scan results, there is no way to know for sure.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Ventral hernia repair with tummy tuck

+1

Hi, without examination it is impossible to diagnose if what you have is a hernia and what kind of hernia it is. if you are having a tummy tuck procedure, it is certainly possible to have both pprocedures done by a qualified plastic surgeon who is confortable with hernia repair, whether a mesh is needed or not.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Yes, ventral hernia and diastasis recti can be repaired at the time of tummy tuck.

+1

Yes, ventral hernia and diastasis recti can be repaired at the time  of tummy tuck.

See two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss in detail and make sure that you are a good candidate.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS