Should I Get Veneers, Dental Bonding for My Small Teeth? (photo)

I hate my teeth soooo much, OMG you have no idea. They're so small. I'm 20 years old, and I have baby teeth. It's so embarrassing. It just lowers my self esteem. What should I get to improve my smile?

Veneers or Bonding for Small Teeth

+2

Before you decide on bonding or veneers I think you need to consider having crown lengthening where the excess gum tissue and probably bone are reduced to uncover your teeth to a more normal size and reduce the amount of gum you show when you smile.  Following this you could have bonding or veneers depending on your budget and how many teeth require treatment to complete the smile following correction of the excess gum.

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Desired result not as simple as just bonding or veneers

+2

From this picture, it appears that the issue with your small teeth isn't just due to the tooth structure itself.   You have to look at the entire mouth and smile as a whole- the lips and gums are the curtains and scaffolding, the teeth are the actors on stage.  All three components--teeth, gums and lips, when in harmony, are what make a beautiful smile. 

With that said, I would recommend you get the opinion of a general or cosmetic dentist who is willing to get a team of specialists involved (expect: periodontist- treats the gums; and an orthodontist) to treat you.  This way the dentist and the specialists can formulate a plan for you that is in your best interest now, and in the long run.

To start, it appears as though you may need gum therapy (removing excess gum tissue to expose more tooth structure) and/or orthodontics to expose more tooth structure.  Once there is more tooth structure visible, you may be pleased with the appearance, or may still need to move forward with dental bonding or veneers as the last phase of treatment. 

Hope this helps!

Tracy Shaw, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers or Dental Bonding for Small Teeth

+2

Either option will work for you, but there is a big difference in the price of dental bonding and Veneers. Bonding can deliver great results but may not appear as life like as veneers would. The longevity of veeners is much greater than dental bonding. I would seek at least two opinions and prices and be mindful that these are cosmetic procedures and you will be paying the entire price for them since insurance does not cover. I would find something that I would be happy with both esthetically and financially.

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Options for Small Teeth

+2

From the photos it looks as though you have a couple of options.  You could have some soft tissue laser recontouring perofrmed over the front four teeth.  This would improve the aesthetics and give your teeth a longer look.  Porcelain veneers could be placed within a week or two to improve the shape and overall appearance of your smile.  The other option would be to consider seeing an orthodontist to do braces.  After the othodontic work is completed, the laser could be used to do the laser recontouring.  Both of these would be great options and improve your smile dramatically.  Good luck. 

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Gum lift and/or orthodontics may be needed prior to restoring `small teeth'

+2

You may need gum shortening (gum lift) and/or orthodontic (braces) to expose more teeth prior to veneers or bondings for optimum esthetics. Please have comprehensive cosmetic consultation by a trained dentist to explore your options. Good Luck!

Hema Patel, DDS
Fremont Cosmetic Dentist

There are a lot of options to improve the appearance of "small teeth"

+2

You may have a variety of treatment options available to improve the appearance of your small teeth.  I'd recommended you seek out a well-trained cosmetic dentist.  After a thorough exam and x-rays, you can then learn what can be done.  It is hard to tell from your photos what the best option may be.  You asked about dental bonding and veneers... in addition to those treatments, sometimes a gum tissue lift or orthodontics can help give the right proportions so your teeth don't look so small.  It is definitely not a decision that can be made without a detailed dental exam.  Good luck and thanks for your question! :)

Kristen Berning, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Enhancing small teeth

+1

From the photo you posted, I can see that you need to show more teeth at the gum level. This can be done by several means. Bone removal, gum removal, orthodontic super eruption of the anterior teeth . After that you need to elongate the teeth by veneers. Bonding will NOT give you the best result. They change color, for your teeth to be bonded due to their inward  tilting, the teeth get ,much thicker , and not very aesthetic. 

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist