How Does Veneers Work?

The enamel on my teeth is thin (from grinding). I've been told that most Teeth whitening treatments won't work because of this (will only accentuate the thin parts of my teeth) I am seriously considering veneers and would like information on the process/cost.

Whitening is best for normal size teeth

+2

If your teeth are worn and shortened from grinding, then just whitening them may not be enough to make you happy with your smile.  Veneers sound like the optimum treatment for your situation.  You would have the size and shape restored to ideal and use a whiter porcelain shade to create the veneers.  The result would be a beautiful and whiter smile that you would make you very happy.

I would also recommend a splint or nightguard after you get your new veneers  - to protect them from the same grinding process that shortened your natural teeth.  The grinding won't stop and you need a protective appliance to protect your new smile and your investment.

Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Patients who grind their teeth should get a night guard with their veneers.

+1

Veneers will restore teeth to their correct anatomy with very pleasing results.  However, a very important adjunct to your treatment will be a night guard.  A night guard is a removable appliance that is worn when the patient grinds his/her teeth, usually at night time.  The night guard prevents the upper and lower teeth from contacting while clenching or grinding.  This will not only protect the teeth and veneers from wear and damage, but will also work to reverse the parafunctional habit of clenching and grinding.  The veneers and night guard should both be delivered to the patient at the same appointment.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian.

Corona Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers are basically contact lenses for the teeth

+1

They are very thin shells of glass or porcelain that are bonded to the front of the tooth. Most cases we also have the veneer wrap around the edge of the tooth also to provide more strength and better cosmetic appearance. After they are placed you must have a night guard placed to prevent the grinding from destroying your veneers.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers are thin porcelain shells placed directly on top of the teeth

+1

Veneers are thin porcelain shells placed directly on top of the teeth. It is the best cosmetic option , if you want to change color, shape and position of the tooth permanently and is life like.

When you come to our office on the first visit, if needed, we painlessly reduce, reshape or shave a very small amount of tooth structure. We take an impression and send it to our lab. During that time, if necessary, you will wear temporary veneers that will cover and protect your teeth. In about 10 days the lab will have your new veneers ready. When you return for your second visit, we remove the temporary veneers and bond the permanent veneers in place.

When applied properly, dental veneers can eliminate the gaps between teeth, tooth discoloration due to medications or smoking, and broken or chipped teeth. The cost varies between 600 and 1500 depending on the brand and doctor's experience.

Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Teeth Veneers cover the front of the teeth

+1

The process is fairly straight forward: where teeth stick out they are shaped out of the way, where they are too short porcelain is added to create length. The color can be selected from a guide so the result is EXACTLY what is desired.

However, if grinding led to the destruction of teeth, grinding will destroy veneers if the bite is not managed. This often means that the case complexity goes up and so does the fee.

For very simple veneer cases that involve few teeth, you should expect to pay a few thousand dollars. If the entire bite is reconstructed the investment will be similar to a nice car.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers are porcelain coverings

+1

The fronts of your teeth shaped and polished about a fingernail's width on the front of your teeth to make room for a nice fitting covering.

An impression is taken and sent to a lab, and you wear some temporary veneers while the lab makes them.

When you return the temporary veneers and taken off and the permanent veneers the lab made are then bonded on and virtually look like and are a part of your teeth.

West Des Moines Cosmetic Dentist