Can Veneers Help to Push Lips out?

I have a slightly protruding chin and teeth that are inclined inwards, thus making my lips look small (slightly like older people who do not have teeth) and resulting in a profile that i do not like. i do not wish to get braces or genioplasty so can veneers help push out the lips in any way (and also improve my smile? i would not mind my protruding chin so much if my lips came out a bit.

Veneers and lip profile

+2

There is a possibility that porcelain veneers can build your lip profile out.  It is hard to answer this without seeing you or with photos, however, you did say your teeth are inclined inwards.

This being said veneers on the upper arch may be able to improve the lip profile.  If both the upper and lower teeth are inclined inwards then the lowers will most likely not have an effect on the lip unless your bite is overclosed. 

One way to see if veneers will help your situation is to find an excellent esthetic dentist who is willing to take diagnostic models of your teeth and do what we call a wax up.  From this wax up he should be able to make some 5 minute temporary veneers to show you what can be done in the mouth.  You should be able to view this and see if it gives you the improvement you would like.  Additionally, modifications can be made with this mock up as well.

Hope this helps.

Ronald W. Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers and Lip Support

+2

While it is very difficult to answer this question, I must say that, in general you should not rely on Veneers to push your lips out.  Veneers in general should only be .5-1.5mm thick. Any thicker than this the veneers would look unnatural.  I would recommend you have a consultation with an orthodontist before you have veneers placed.  Wish you all the best.

Giri Palaniswamy, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers can only push lips out slightly.

+2

You would need very thick veneers to achieve what you want, and it would not be as good as doing braces. Your problem may also be a skeletal issue which would be diagnosed by an orthodontist and may need surgery to properly resolve.

If you are unwilling to do this and you want to improve the way the teeth look and are considering veneers anyway, then it may help. However, I would suggest to do a trial by doing a wax-up and then transfering this to the mouth. Its like doing a quick snap-on veneers but without bonding them. You could then take some photos and have a friend with you for feed-back. You will also get a feel for how thick they will be and if this will affect you speech at all.

You may also want to consider a cosmetic lip filler as well. Properly done, this can look natural and there are different type of fillers available with varying durations.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers can make minor lip improvements

+2

While veneers CAN help, the effect is usually minor.  If your teeth are retroclined or tilted, any change that would significantly affect the lips would require tremendously thick veneers.  Orthodontics are likely the only option in this situation.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Can veneers push out my lips

+2

Unfortunately without some visuals I am unable to answer that question.  Veneers are very thin and will make no difference in most cases on the lips.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Can Veneers Push Out My Lips

+2

Without seeing actual photos of your situation, it would be impossible to answer your question. Remember, Veneers are pretty thin so they will only push your lips out slightly, if they are so designed.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Yes they can- with limits though

+1
  • Veneers that are inclined lingually (toward your tongue) don't offer lip support
  • By building out the facial dimension (front) of your teeth with veneers you can get a fullness to your lips.  
  • I have several patients that have reported this benefit AFTER getting veneer
  • You're probably going to need 8 veneers to build out the facial and buccal corridor of your smile though

Peter Boulden, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist