Is There Any Pain Involved with Veneers?

How painful are veneers to have put on? I kind of have a phobia with dentists and any procedure. Also which are better composite or porcelain?

Discomfort from Porcelain Veneers

Anytime a tooth is reduced with a dental bur the potential for some transient discomfort exists. The beauty of Porcelain Veneers is often as little at .3 mm reduction is needed to accomplish the goal and the tooth does not react. Prepless Veneers are also available for selected situations which result in zero discomfort. 

Memphis Dentist

Veneers should not be painful

Porcelain veneers are one of the most conservative treatments we have in dentistry. Local injections are recommended just because everyone's sensitivity level varies. In the many cases I have done over the years, patients are very comfortable since most of the preparation of the tooth is at gum level and not below.

Therefore, with proper temporaries and hygiene, the gum tissue should not get sore nor do the teeth get sensitive.

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Dentist

Perception is reality

Most of my patients report zero pain during the process, yet sometimes a person will report pain JUST from walking through the front door. While the veneer process is mostly painless, it is still dental surgery. We are very conservative when we work, but some cases require aggressive preparation. Some makeovers are so extreme (severe crowding, broken down teeth requiring root canal therapy, extraction of root tips, etc) that some discomfort should be expected.

Depending on the case, it might not be pain FREE. Having said that, most people say that it was completely comfortable and would do it again in a heartbeat.

No pain should be associated with Porcelain veneers

The placement of porcelain veneers is actually one of the most conservative treatments performed in modern dentistry. We can achieve ultra thin veneers (even down to about 0.2mm thick). Thus, no pain should be attributed to having porcelain veneers placed. There are exceptions to that, in my experience with placing over 5000 veneers.

1. Replacement of old crowns with metal underneath them- Lots of times we do a lot of smile makeovers from people who want to replace their outdated dentistry (old porcelain fused to metal crowns). Sometimes when we go to remove those crowns their can be a lot of decay underneath those crowns, and thus it must be removed. The deeper decay gets (and subsequently removal of that decay gets) to the nerve or pulp, the more post-operative pain one might have

2. Correcting a lot of crowding with porcelain veneers (instant orthodontics): Again, the more tooth structure that is needed to be removed because of mal-positioned teeth or crowding....then potentially the more pulpal inflammation that can occur as result. In general- about 95% of the veneer cases we do experience NO discomfort whatsoever.

Some soreness and or sensitivity is normal.

Veneer therapy invloves:
1. Preparation of the teeth and placement of temporary veneers.
2. Cementation of the permanent veneers, anywhere from the same day to as long as two weeks later.

During the procedure there should be no pain involved. Before the start of the procedure local anesthetic is administered. Some of my patients request nitrous oxide which helps with anxiety and relaxes them.

After the preparation of the teeth some patients have some post operative soreness which is aleviated with ibuprophen. This soreness if at all, typically goes away within a day or two, Most patients have no soreness at all.

Once the veneers are cemented on the teeth some patients have cold sensitivity that can last a day up to a week. Again ibuprophen aleviates this sensitivity.

In summary veneer therapy should be painless, some soreness and or sensitivity is normal and is most often aleviated with simple over the counter pain medications.

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Dentist

Porcelain Veneers: Is it painful?

My most sensitive patients do amazingly well with porcelain veneers, and rarely do they report any major discomfort. The top surface of the tooth is reshaped to fit the veneers. The prep is painless and most patients adjust to the new feel of the veneers immediately.

Best of luck.

James Asaf, DDS

James Asaf, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Pain with Veneers

There really should not be any pain associated with veneers. I make sure that my injections are painless and that my preparations are conservative to minimize any sensitivity through the process.  There are ways to help minimize any possible sensitivity while you are in temporaries and at the time of final cementation. As long as the preparations are rather conservative, and far from the pulp chamber in the center of the tooth where the nerve tissue resides, it should be a generally comfortable procedure.

Anjali Rajpal, DMD
Beverly Hills Dentist

Is There Any Pain Involved With Veneers?

The question is, is their any pain involved with dental veneers. Like any procedure certainly there is the possibility of discomfort however porcelain veneers can be done these days with very minimal discomfort. Many times now we’re able to do minimal or no preparations to be able to do veneers, saving tooth structure which then of course causes less pain. So they can be done with very little comfort these days.

Is the porcelain veneering process painful? Which is better, porcelain or composite veneers?

Porcelain veneering involves much less drilling than moderate to deep cavities.  As long as your dentist gives you good local anesthetic (Novocain) you should have little discomfort during the veneering procedure.  If you're a little "phobic" you might ask your dentist if he offers oral sedation, which is incredible at reducing anxiety.

With regard to any discomfort after the procedure, it is generally mild discomfort.  Most patients are a more comfortable if they take a couple Advils every 4-6 hours for a few days after the dental appointment..

In general, you will get a better and long lasting results with porcelain veneers compared with composite veneers.  Porcelain is stronger, generally looks better and won't discolor over time as composite veneers sometimes does.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Dentist

Porcelain Veneer Placement Can Be Performed With Minor Discomfort

The preparation and placement of porcelain veneers typically produces little to no discomfort following the procedure.  Local anesthesia is used to keep the patient comfortable during the process.  I find that patients rarely take any pain meds following the procedure.  Good luck.