Need Veneers for All Four Front Teeth or Just the Two with Chips?

My dentist says I'll be "happier" with four done, but my teeth are healthy and white, it's just the front two that are misshapen from a chip. I don't get it. Why get four when only two bother me?

How many veneers you "need" or should it be "want"?

+2

If you have chosen a skilled cosmetic dentist, they will be able to evaluate all the aspects of your smile and help you decide how many veneers is right for you. It sounds like they haven't spent the time they need to let you know what is best for you. 2 veneers can restore your teeth to what they were like before you broke them. 4 veneers may enhance your smile if it is deficient. 8-10 veneers can give the doctor greater control and possibly a "Hollywood" look for you.

You need to consider what you need and then think about what you want. You need to restore broken down teeth to maintain function and health. You may want to enhance your smile while you are spending the money anyway because it is easier to design all the veneers at the same time.

The reason to get 4 veneers would be to enhance the shape of 2 teeth adjacent to the front teeth. I would recommend that you get a mock-up done so you can see what it will look like to have 4 veneers. When I do this, I use composite and sculpt it around the teeth to show the patient what it will look like. If the dentist won't do this, I would recommend getting a second opinion. It is always nice to see it done before something permanent is done.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Four teeth or two?

+1

If you are happy with your other teeth then don't touch them. The dentist may have noticed things about the other two teeth that you haven't such as asymmetry or different colors. 

What the dentist thinks looks good and what the patient like are sometimes different. 

You can always get the other two done later if you think it is necessary.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers: How Many Should You Get?

+1

If you are hiring an experienced cosmetic dentist for the job, here are some things he/she may be considering. First if there is currently any asymmetry in your front 4 teeth, and you go and make the front 2 teeth symmetrical (which you will with your veneers) - you will amplify the asymmetry remaining in the 2 side teeth. Also, if your front 2 teeth are currently larger or have any spaces, these teeth may end up looking too large without doing the side 2 teeth. If your side teeth are symmetrical, proportional, and the color you want them to be...and the front two teeth are proportional in your smile, you may be able to get away with just doing 2. You may end up with several more visits as you try to get a perfect shade match if you only do the 2 front teeth.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Number of veneers depends on goals

+1

There are many factors to deciding how many teeth to treat.  Porcelain mimics enamel, but not PERFECTLY.  In some lighting, it may be noticeable that 2 teeth do not match.  By doing 4, the difference is less apparent.  If you want whiter shading, then more is needed.  If you are happy with the color, perhaps only 2...

Also, veneering allows reshaping and contouring, so if the adjacent teeth are short or long, they can be changed.

Ultimately, the choice is yours.  If you feel you will be satisfied with just 2, then that should be fine.  Clear goals and expectations should be defined well in advance of treatment.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

2 vs 4 veneers

+1

"Happier", is all in the eyes of the beholder. If you feel the 2 veneers are all that are needed then do 2. Understand that by doing 4 you will be able to create a much better color and shape transitions for your smile.

In our office, we offer our patients a simple procedure called a mockup. It's easy and just takes a few minutes. Mockup is our vision of the patients new smile, taking any objections of the patent into consideration. We work with a patient as a team to reach one's goals. This helps most patients in choosing which route to go. Maybe you can ask your dentist to show you the other 2 teeth to see what it will actually do to your smile!

Hope this helps.

With your dental health in mind,

Dr. A

Michael Ayzin, DDS
Costa Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer rule: 2,4,6,8 - even numbers for front teeth

+1

If you only have two chipped teeth in front then of course two veneers are fine, but if your smaller side teeth are too small then 4 may look better cosmetically. has nothing to do with whats wrong with your teeth it has to do with the cosmetics of it all. You dont want rabbit teeth. 4-6 usually looks the best but then again im in Beverly Hills...

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist