Is There a Such Thing As a Veneered Crown?

My dentist said I am in need of crowns, however, the estimate says 'veneers'. At this prace, they charge more for veneers than they do for crowns. When I asked about this, they said I am getting a "veneered crowns". I'm not sure how I feel about this. Most of the damage to my teeth is in the back from grinding. What is the difference between a crown and a wrap around veneer? I really like my new dentist, but not sure they are being honest with me?

What are Veneered Crowns?

+2

I do veneers, conventional crowns and something I call a veneered crown. 

Number one-they are all the same price. 

I use a veneered crown to communicate the procedure more that the result.  I am describing a process where  the veneer will wrap some of the tooth(like a conventional crown) but not totally take the tooth down like a  conventional crown.  The margins are usually prepared differently as well but the esthetics are great what ever the procedure is called.

I usually use a veneer crown for teeth that are broken at the edge.

Ask your dentist why the costs are different and tell them you are not comfortable with that.  You need to trust your dentist because crowning and /or veneering are major processes and you want to know what the process is and the results.  Get a second opinion-Good luck!

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Veneered Crowns

+2

To help clarify the lingo involved, one should know that a "veneered crown" is NOT the same as a "veneer".  Your clinician is opting to preserve as much tooth enamel as possible (which is a good thing) so that he/she can place a very thin crown which will be bonded to existing tooth structure.  When done properly, this technique is highly predictable and very, very strong, so long as the veneered crown is adhesively bonded to tooth enamel.

If, however, you are grinding and dentin is exposed on the back of your upper front teeth, then veneered crowns are not a good option. The only way that a veneered crown will be strong is if it is bonded to tooth enamel, not dentin.

Some other differences between a "regular" crown and a "veneered crown":

1. Less tooth structure is removed to place a veneered crown (around 0.5 mm or less); tooth enamel is preserved.
  2. Regular crowns require removal of all enamel AND a little bit of dentin (which is the less mineralized tooth structure beneath enamel).
  3. Veneered crowns are extremely thin--sometimes less than 0.5 mm.  Even so, the fact that they are bonded to enamel actually makes them stronger than regular crowns, which are bonded or cemented to dentin!

It is important to question your dentist on his/her decision for recommending "veneered crowns" over "regular crowns" and what option he/she thinks will provide you with the best long-term solution for your problem.

Good Luck!

Michael Gulizio, DMD, MS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Veneered tooth

+2

A veneer  is only covering the buccal- front -surface of the tooth..The back surface of the tooth is not covered.However, if you are a grinder I would not suggest to have a veneer, unless your grinding is light and you are going to wear a nightguard.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

You can veneer a crown, but they may be mixing terminology

+2

I sometimes use crown, veneer, 3/4 crown interchangeably becuase the end cosmetic result is often the same as well as what I charge for each. There have been times where I have veneered over a porcelain crown without removing it. The most obvious example is where I veneered over a tooth that was involved in a 3 unit bridge so that I wouldn't have to add 2 more units to his already expensive treatment plan. Just call the office back and see if they can clarify it for you.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers and crowns

+2

Sometimes the terminology gets confusing. If you have as much wear as you describe, you have probably been planned for something called "porcelain veneered to metal or gold". This is a type of dental crown that has a gold or white gold core, then has porcelain over it in the areas that show. If you've damaged your teeth this much, it's probably a strong and attractive solution. 

One follow up suggestion: it sounds like they have confused you. I would ask them to show you samples of those sort of crowns, and also ask to see before and after photos of other smiles they have repaired with these same types of crowns. I would take the extra time now to make sure your questions are answered and you understand why they have recommended this treatment.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Veneered crowns are not unusual

+2

There are many reasons for veneering a crown, and the skill required is beyond what most clinics offer.  You may have found a highly skilled dentist and not someone that is trying to pull something over you.

The most common reason to veneer a crown is when full removal of a crown may lead to loss of the tooth.  If the damage to the crown can be fixed by veneering over it, or if the color is slightly off, bonding porcelain to porcelain works very well.

Many other reasons can apply, and doing veneers IS more difficult than a simple crown, so variation in fees is not unusual.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer versus crown

+1

GREAT QUESTION.  I will provide some reasonable descriptions of different crown types and terminology.  Ask your dentist to describe the procedure and method of crown fabrication.  Their answers will help you evaluate whether their treatment proposal is right for you.

A veneer commonly refers to a thin shell of porcelain which is bonded to the face of a tooth.  They generally cover the lip side and biting edge, extending about half way through where the adjacent teeth contact each other. These shells are fairly thin and are used mainly to alter tooth size, rotation or color. They rely on the strength of the underling tooth structure rather than material strength.

A crown refers to the placement of dental materials over the entire tooth structure above the gum line.  Crowns require greater reduction of tooth structure, usually 1.5mm from all directions, in order to have sufficient strength.  Crowns may be made of cast metal alloys (gold), all porcelain or porcelain fused to metal. 

When a situation lacks the 1.5 mm thickness for porcelain, a cast crown can have to porcelain applied to the cosmetically visible surfaces only and may be referred to as a veneered crown.  Sometimes a porcelain fused to metal crown looses it's porcelain surface to to wear or trauma.  In these cases a veneer of tooth colored composite may be bonded to the crown surface, eliminating the need to remove the crown from the tooth and potential for tooth damage.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Is there such a thing as a Veneered Crown?

+1

Let me explain the process to you so that you will better understand the terminology. When I restore a patients smile we provide restorations without metal. The choice material that I use is Empress porcelain. As the teeth are prepared, an evaluation of the tooth's position, color, existing fillings and occlusion determine the amount of porcelain that each tooth needs to be restored with. Some teeth need a veneer that covers the front and side surfaces of the tooth which is the minimal preparation. Some need full coverage due to decay and severe grinding (wrapping all the way around forming a crown) So, there is no difference between a crown that is all Empress porcelain and a veneer. They are fabricated of the same material, cosmetically look exactly the same and are cemented exactly the same.

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist