Veneer or Crown for Chipped Teeth?

The other day, I fell and chipped my #7, 8, 9 teeth. There's no pain, just a little temperature sensitivity in one of them, and my initial x-ray shows no cracks in the root. I'm in my early 30's. Which restoration option would you recommend in my case, and why?

Veneer or crown for a chipped tooth?

+1

NEITHER. Your lower teeth are slightly crowded and could have aided the fracture.

As you have already lost 20-25% of the teeth, then why trim away more?

A good dentist will easily build up the teeth with composite filling which will last for a long time.

London Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers for Chipped Teeth

+1

Thank you for providing the picture.  I think that porcelain veneers would be the best option for the chips that are shown.  This would give you the best aesthetic result and be the most durable.  This procedure could be performed for you in just two short visits.  Good luck.  

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers and bonding are best for your age. NOT Crowns

+1

The best treatment is the least invasive that achieves the goal. The fact that you have a little temperature sensitivity is good. This means the nerves are normal.

Tooth #9 has a relatively small chip. I believe this is amendable to bonding. Teeth #s 7 and 8 long term would be better served by veneers (not crowns). Unless you are planning to do a general smile makeover, you should not have to do another veneer on # 10 just to match all four front teeth. I good dentist should be able to match (7,8,9) to 10. Yes it will be a bit more difficult and may take more than one try ( I charge more for this but it is better and less expensive than having to do an extra veneer on a healthy tooth that would otherwise not need it)

I have also seen and done myself large bondings to repair fractures such as yours (all three teeth). A skilled dentist can get a very nice result and may last for several years. This is a less expensive option but realize that it may have to be re-done sooner than veneers. The good thing is that it is more conservative and you can always do the veneers later if needed. Veneers may also need to be redone at some point and depending on how the teeth look at that time, you may need crowns then.

Do not do crowns at your age. This is too agressive and invasive. Once you grind down a tooth for a crown, there is no going back.  Order of least agressive to most: bondings, veneers, crowns.  If you go straight to the crown then what happens 10, 15, 20 yrs from now? New crowns, root canal or extract.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Chipped teeth, what are my options

+1

I would recommend the most conservative dentistry for this case.  I would probably recommend  a veneer to fix the chips.  Preserving the tooth structure is the key and by doing a veneer you will be only preparing a small portion of the tooth

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Restoring chipped front teeth

+1

If the fracture does not involve the nerve and if root canal treatment is not necessary, then it is best to restore your teeth with veneers for best esthetic results.  More tooth structure can be saved with veneers as opposed to full coverage crowns.  From what you describe and your picture, it doesn't seem like a crown would be necessary.  However, you should consult with your dentist with an exam and x-rays.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Chipped Teeth Cosmetic/Restorative Options

+1

If these were my teeth I would opt for veneers ideally on the front four for the best cosmetic result.  If for some reason budget was a dominant factor you could do only the three fractured teeth.  Just know the outcome will be compromised somewhat with the asymmetric matching of veneers to natural teeth.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer or Crown for Chipped Teeth?

+1

When you are in your 30's there are a number of choices you have to fix chipped teeth.

As a cosmetic dentist for over twenty years, the answer is usually a blend of a few issues:

• How long do you want it to last?
  • How beautiful do you want the result?
  • How large or small is your budget?
  • How durable do you need it to be?
  • How conservative do you want to be?

If you want strong, beautiful and long-lasting, then porcelain veneers are the solution.

If you want to be ultra-conservative with your teeth, then bonding may deliver good results.

A great solution from the hands of an experienced cosmetic dentist may be to use "No prep" veneers. A skilled cosmetic dentist and ceramist team could match the color beautifully and do it with virtually no removal of tooth  structure.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

3 Chipped Front Teeth = 4 Veneers

+1

Hi Chipped, Good Question:

3 Veneers would certainly work to restore the teeth, but when placing porcelain on the front teeth I recommend a symmetrical approach from the center line.  In your case this means veneering teeth 7, 8, 9 and 10. 

You will not only get a better result immediately, but you can also expect it to look better than only 3 veneers as time passes. This is because the porcelain veneered teeth have much more shade stability than those without a veneer.  The tooth without a veneer will change shade over time and become more and more obvious to others. 

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

The best dentistry is no dentistry

+1

Or the least amount needed to achieve the goal.  In this case, I would opt for the veneer or a 3/4 crown, as this preserves as much tooth structure as possible and minimizes risk for root canal therapy or other treatments.  A crown is fine, there is nothing wrong with that, but if it were my teeth I would suggest a veneer.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers vs Crowns

+1

We always use veneers when we can be conservative.  We use crowns if we need the full coverage strength to protect a tooth that might be weakened from being filled several times or subject to heavy biting forces.  In this case, it appears that veneers would work, but sometimes a cross between a veneer and a crown is needed.  This might be one of those cases.  I usually ask my patients to let me make the decision during the procedure, depending on each clinical presentation.  There might be a case where a veneer is done right next to a tooth where a crown is needed.  You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Michael Montalbano, Jr., DDS
Baton Rouge Cosmetic Dentist