Just Had Veneer and It Didn't Help , Advice Please?

I just recently had a veneer fitted to cover my discoloured tooth which was a result of root canal treatment but the veneer has not coloured all of the tooth it still shows through and I'm really self conscious of it :( I'm 18 years old and just spent £300 on my tooth, is there anything else that can be done?

Replace the Veneer

+2

Unfortunately, there is no altering an existing veneer or crown, so a full replacement will be needed.  The question is:  is it worth it?  If it is ALMOST perfect, but not quite, then this may not be.  One of the biggest challenges in dentistry is the single front tooth restoration.  Meaning, getting "perfect" is difficult.

Material selection is key, so your dentist will need to discuss options.  Your quoted fee seems on the low side, so your dentist may not be familiar with materials that can help, as some clinics only have few options.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Blocking out colour of tooth from root canal

+2

There are several different ways to cover up  adarkened tooth. Since the tooth has been root canaled, you can have your dentist whiten your tooth from the inside. He/She can place a bleach inside your tooth where the root canal was done and the results can be pretty effective. If this doesn't work then you may want to ask your doctor about different veneer materials as some can block out the darkened tooth better than others

Mississauga Cosmetic Dentist

Discoloured tooth after root canal/ veneer

+2

This is a tough one! Many times the root discolours after a root canal. Does the discolouration show through at the gumline, or is it in the main body of the tooth?? Can you post any pictures? Is it the porcelain does not match the other teeth?? Is it an improvement from what was there before?? I would suggest  that you speak to your dentist, and inform him that you are not happy with your current veneer, and see what can be done.

Maui Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer Repair

+2

Do you have any photos? Would be easier to get an idea of the issue with some pictures. 

As pointed out, matching a single Veneer to other teeth in your mouth is a very difficult task. But if the Veneer is not blocking out the underlying dark tooth there may be a few things you can still do. 

- If its just a matter of changing the colour of the bonding agent , the Veneer could be removed with a Specific type of laser, without damage to the Veneer, and it could be re-bonded with a lighter colour bond. 

- if the Veneer just can't block out the underlying colour due to being to thin then a new Veneer and possibly more tooth preparation my be required. 

I don't believe its too late to deal with this issue. Talk to your dentists about options. If he or she knows of a dentist with a "hard tissue" erbium laser, you could have the Veneer removed safely and start over.

Vancouver Cosmetic Dentist

Replace the veneer

+1

Probably the best thing to do would be to replace the veneer. I agree with the doctors and a picture helps to see the full situation of how discolored is your tooth. Veneers can be replaced just remember that porcelain veneers are a thin layer of porcelain, so probably a crown could be a best option for you. It is a bit hard to see withour any visual reference.

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer didn't work?

+1

In many cases like this they don't consider full crown so the see through won't show good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Discolored Tooth Still Shows Through Veneer

+1

Unfortunately, it's too late now, but the dentist should have shown you the Veneer placed on the tooth with "try-in paste" so that you could have approved it or not BEFORE he permanently bonded it in. One of the hardest things to do in dentistry is to get a single Veneer to match the adjacent teeth exactly. At this point, you might be able to try internal bleaching on the dark tooth without removing the Veneer.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.