Do I Need my Varicose Veins for Coronary Bypass Surgery?

No

+2

No. We have suitable bypass conduits in the form of radial arteries (one in each arm) and mammary arteries (one on the left and another on the right) in the chest that can be harvested to do bypass surgery.

Remember, these varicose veins are not healthy and often large (varicose) and not suitable for bypass grafting and likely to clot once they are in place because of the size mismatch and their inflamed (phlebitic) nature.

Finally, chances are in your lifetime that you will get a stent for blockages in your heart rather than bypass surgery.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Varicose veins are not suitable for bypass surgery

+1

To use a varicose vein for cardiac bypass surgery would be like putting worn tires that are about to blow onto your car before a cross-country trip.  Varicose veins don't have normal strength and they are not used for bypass surgery, so it is safe to get rid of them either through sclerotherapy, endovenous ablation, or surgery (surgery not often necessary these days).

Web reference: http://www.mdlsv.com

Baltimore Dermatologist