Vaser & Tickle Lipo OR Tummy Tuck? (photo)

My consultation was about a week ago & the doctor told me that it would be best to get tickle lipo & vaser lipo instead of a tummy tuck. I'm 22 & my skin is great right now, I already have some disfigurement in the abdomen area(upper half is bigger than the lower hlaf + the right lower side of the tummy is a lot flatter than the left), I had vaser lipo done when i was 16, bad results! Now, i'm trying to fix it, but i don't get why those procedures would be better than a tummy tuck??

Get a second opinion

+2

Go see a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON who does tummy tucks before jumping into the lipo area. You have excess skin and fat. Also, are you finished having children or are you going to have them, that would steer you more toward lipo. If you are done with kids, then a tummy tuck might be better. Also stay away from cute sounding procedures, they are done usually by non plastic surgeons. I have been doing lipo for almost 30 years and teach the procedure and don't know what a tickle lipo is.

Lipo or Tummy Tuck - What's Best?

+2

From your photographs, it is difficult to give you a formal answer, but you look like you could benefit from a secondary liposuction procedure. With the amount of fatty tissue you have relative to the skin excess, your tummy tuck wouldn't be very dramatic. However, liposuction can significantly reduce the volume you have, but how your skin responds is less certain.  I would always recommend the less invasive procedure and run the risk of needing a secondary tightening procedure. The key to your success is the quality of your skin and your age - the quality can only be assessed in person. See a board certified surgeon to know more about your options. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Repeat liposuction

+1

If you had liposuction at 16 and are now considering it again at age 22, you have an issue with lifestyle and weight management.  A healthy diet and exercise is in your best interest for good health and longevity.  I wish you well. If you are bound and determined to get liposuction, I'm sure you won't have to search too hard to find a plastic surgeon that will say yes. You will likely be unhappy with the results.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Lipo or tummy tuck

+1

I am not sure if you really are a candidate for liposuction or for a tummy tuck.  You look a bit overweight and liposuction is not an answer for that. It will not address the intra-abdominal component.  If you haven't had children, I wouldn't recommend a tummy tuck at this point. I would wait to complete childbearing.

Liposuction and goal weight

+1

You will have to view your transformation as a lifestyle change.  Liposuction should not be viewed as a weight loss procedure, rather as a method to remove unwanted fat from exercise resistant areas.  Being near your goal wt at the time of your procedure is important and will help to make your postop result more predictable..  While liposuction of your abdomen will effectively improve contour, your waist line, thighs and chest will likely look disproportionate.  In my opinion, your best result will be achieved if you work on wt loss and physical fitness and have a re-evaluation with your board certified plastic surgeon.  At that point it will be more obvious which procedure will be best for you. Improved fitness will ultimately help you to maintain your postoperative result. Best of luck  Dr. Renucci

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or abdominoplasty

+1

Hi there,

At your young age of 22 someone needs to tell you straight:  You're overweight.  My strong advice is to look at your diet firstly, and secondly how you exercise and your daily activity.  If you're overweight now you'll likely be more overweight in 5 years despite surgery or lipo.

Rather than surgery, why not consider a one year project of health and fitness for yourself.  Consult your local gym.  Understand that fitness is about exercise, but weight loss is about diet.  A good diet takes no time from your day. Educate yourself.

You'll get a much better body result from this than from either lipo or a tummy tuck.  I would not offer you either.  And, if you're young and determined as you say, then you'll do a great job and have the best body you can have. It will cost you next to nothing.  And you'll be in control of your body from now on.

All the best.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty vs. liposcution vs. exercise and diet

+1

Unless there is significant hanging skin such as after massive weight loss I prefer not to perform abdominoplasties on women in their early 20's or younger who are not married and have not had kids. There have been exceptions that I have made over the years but that is the general rule. Unless there is clear benefit from the surgery that scar can make future interspersonal relationships very difficult for these women and some things are more important than a surgical fee.

Given your history and photos and I am not sure you should get a tummy tuck either. You also need to be aware of unscrupulous doctors out there who are not qualified and try to sell their patients on the idea that some type of liposuction (laser etc) will shrink the skin so they do not need a tummy tuck. A lot of them do that because they are not trained to do a tummy tuck. That is not exactly true and attempting to get more out of those procedures than is reasonable only leads to bad complications. Your surgeon may or may not fall into that category. The manufacturers of the equipment used in the procedure do not care as they will sell to almost anyone with a pulse.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Minimal skin tightening with lipo

+1

If you are young and have not had children, it is hard to recommend a tummy tuck at this point but it is also very important to understand the limitations of liposuction. All of the various technologies - laser, VASER, tickle, water jet, or tumescent with or without IV sedation - will effectively remove fat but any extra skin tightening is minimal. For that reason liposuction is never a true alternative to a tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Lipo versus Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposuciton - whatever method - will reduce your fat and you will look much thinner in clothes.  To remove the excess skin, however, you would need a tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.  So it is really up to you about what results you will be satisfied with.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction versus Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposuction, no matter what technique, can help to even out your fat layer and improve your asymmetries, but it will not help with the skin laxity present which may even worsen with fat removal.  If the scar from an abdominoplasty does not concern you, this procedure will be able to correct more of your problems than liposuction alone.

Donald Griffin, MD