Vaser/SmartLipo or Skin Excision for Male Chest & Arms?

Considering either Vaser or SmartLipo for male chest and upper arms, but I'm concerned that excess skin will give me a disappointing result or even make these areas look worse. My doctor has advised against excision as the scars would be rather conspicuous, and he's confident the result will be good. My excess skin is not *terrible*, i.e. not from a massive weight loss, but I'm on the fence about what to do. I don't want to end up with pouchy arms and a sagging chest requiring further correction.

Vaser and skin contraction

+1
The key here is to evaluate the amount of tissue to be removed, the amount of excess skin and the potential for that skin to contract post operatively. Gynecomastia can be treated with open surgery, Vaser or both.  The advantage of combining both techniques is that soft tissue removal and skin contraction can be achieved with Vaser.  Open excision affords the ability to directly excise tissue beneath the nipple and areola and offers the opportunity to resect skin. Incisions limited to around the areola are usually quite acceptable where as other incisions which extend out into the skin are often unsightly.  Unfortunately most arm scars are quite conspicuous and usually only for patients with significant skin excess.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Vaser/SmartLipo or Skin Excision for Male Chest & Arms

+1

Trust your doctor. You picked him for a reason. He's ASPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon? Hope so. Also, sounds like you don't have a significant retro-areolar disc. 

excision is reserved for those patients that have fibrous tissue.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Venus Freeze for skin tightening

+1

Either Vaser or Smart Lipo can do a great job in treating the male chest and upper arms and both can provide some degree of skin tightening.  If your skin is not excessively loose, doing one of these forms of lipo is probably preferable to an excision where you may be unhappy with the scars.  If you have massive amounts of loose skin, then the trade off for the scars is clearly worthwhile, but from what you describe, that doesn't sound like the case.  If you have lipo and still feel like you are loose, you could consider Venus Freeze to give you additional tightening.  This is non-surgical, painless, with no downtime but gives good results to both face and body areas.

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vaser vs Laser Liposuction

+1

Without a clinical evaluation it is difficult to give advise on which decision to make, liposuction vs. excision. However, with regard to VASER vs. Laser Liposuction, my bias is toward the VASER Ultrasonic Liposuction system. Both will provide skin tightening after fat removal. But, in my opinion there is more potential for contour irregularities when using the laser. The laser can cause more tissue trauma, and therefore more scarring.

Thank you for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD