Is Swelling After Lipo Gone when Bruising Subsides?

I had Vaser Liposuction in my inner and outer thighs 2 1/2 weeks ago. My bruising is almost gone. Does that mean the swelling is gone too?

Not likely

+2

Hi there-

Swelling and bruising will usually take a variable amount of time to resolve after a VASER treatment, and the bruising does usually resolve first.

I think it would be exceptional for you to have achieved complete resolution of swelling after only 2 1/2 weeks, as even with the VASER (which I do believe is the very best tool out there right now), we normally expect complete resolution to take 2-3 months (but some of this depends on the nature of the postoperative care your surgeon believes in).

This is good news for you though- as more swelling resolves, you will only look better!

Congratulations on your new body.

Vaser Lipo Swelling and Bruising

+1

Thanks for your question.  Swelling and bruising are two separate mechanisms the body has to manage trauma, and so are not necessarily linked.  Most patients find that swelling has significantly subsided after 2 to 3 weeks.  I've found that manual lymphatic drainage massage seems to help significantly reduce the overall time that swelling subsists.  In studies I've done with patients in my own clinic, I've found that statistically bruising lasts somewhat less than swelling, but that there are plenty of cases where the opposite is true.

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist