Why Does Vaser Liposuction Have a Shorter Recovery Time Than Other Liposuction Methods?

I read that the recovery time for Vaser is quicker than for traditional lipo, why?(http://www.cosmeticsurgerythailand.com/vaser-in-thailand.html)

My Experience: Most Liposuction Techniques have similar recovery times

+1

In my experience Vaser Liposuction, Smart Lipo and the host of other techniques have similar recovery periods. I think the company claims by many of these techniques are hype and propaganda to support sales.

Here is the information I give my patients regarding the recovery process after liposuction.
As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first few days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.  Much of the swelling and bruising will be improved within two weeks; however, some will persist for six to eight weeks.  It is often difficult to see permanent changes in the body shape before this time.
Most patients are instructed to wear an elastic garment from four to six weeks to help with skin shrinkage. Your plastic surgeon will tell you how long you should wear your elastic garment. For patients with poor skin elasticity Endermologie treatments may be recommended.
Normal activity may be resumed at 1 to 2 weeks post operation.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed.

Vaser Liposuction

+1

There is less vascular trauma, and less tearing of the tissue.  The fat is made smaller, and thus easier to remove with less trauma.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Recovery

+1

There is no evidence that Vaser liposuction has a shorter recovery time than standard liposuction.  In fact, Vaser, laser, or ultrasound assisted liposuction is an additional step that must be followed up with standard liposuction.  Recovery time from liposuction is dependent on how many areas are being treated and how much each area is suctioned.  More areas being treated or larger areas with more fatty tissue to be suctioned will increase discomfort in the first week especially.  The use of general anesthesia or not has very little effect on recovery past the first 24 hours.  Returning to normal daily activities including driving usually occurs in about 2 to 4 days for most individuals. Return to exercise can vary, but I usually ask my patients to not exercise for two weeks.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS