How Does a Vaser Liposuction Procedure Help Reduce Excessive Sweating?

Miradry for axillary hyperhidrosis in Los Angeles

+1

The Miradry procedure is FDA approved and has been shown in clinical studies to be a safe and effective treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Reduction of Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis) with Vaser or Laser

+1

I have found laser ablation of the axillary sweat glands to give long-lasting relief for the problem of excessive underarm sweating, and this is the method I use in my practice. Using the SmartLipo Triplex, the underarm tissue is anesthetized with local tumescent solution just as I would use for Cellulaze or SmartLipo treatment.  The subcutaneous tissue just under the skin is gently and incrementally heated with passes of the laser until endpoints of tissue resistance and temperature are reached. This has been very effective in stopping excessive underarm sweating.  The sweat glands are damaged by the controlled application of heat delivered by the laser.

Although use of the heat generated by the vaser ultrasonic technique has been described in treating axillary hyperhidrosis, the advantage of the SmartLipo Triplex is the Thermal Guide.  The Thermal Guide gives instantaneous  readings of the tissue temperature at the end of the laser cannula which is fed back to the laser computer console. The  temperature can be set to the desired therapeutic level and programmed to stop the laser from firing if this temperature is exceeded.  This is a very helpful safety feature and greatly reduces the uncertainty of simply applying heat energy under the skin. This feature is integral to the SmartLipo Triplex technology and is the technology that allows safe treatment without significant risk of thermal injury when patients are treated for cellulite with the Cellulaze laser.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs laser ablation for axillary hyperhydrosis

+1

I agree with Dr. Ishoo.  It can be helpful and it's mechanism of effect is both heating and mechanical disruption of the glands.  However, since the advent of therapeutic Botox for the treatment of hyperhydrosis, I prefer injections over surgery until the patient either stops responding to the injections or it is no longer covered by their insurance as a medically covered treatment.

James Wire, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Hyperhydrosis

+1

In my practice, I've developed the Laser Assisted Sweat Termination (L.A.S.T) procedure which is aimed at reducing sweating in true axillary hyperhidrosis. The idea is that the thermal energy from the LASER passed under the skin will ablate and coagulate the subdermal axillary sweat glands and this is followed by mechanical ablation of the subdermal tissue with specialized suction cannulas. The technique is highly effective in reducing axillary hyperhydrosis 3-4 months after the procedure. Some clinicians use the VASER as the source of thermal energy for the ablation of the axillary sweat glands. In my hands and in my experience, the Smartlipo Triplex with our specific settings and protocol has worked the best.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon