Vaser Liposelection on Abdomen - Swelling 5 Days Post-op

i had vaser liposelection on my abdomen on 18th sept 2010 under GA. i am back to work today (5th day after surgery). i still have bad swelling around my belly area and have trouble getting myself up or lower myself on the bed/chair. is this normal?

Liposuction 5 days after Liposuction

+1

Regarding: "Vaser Liposelection on Abdomen - Swelling 5 Days Post-op
i had vaser liposelection on my abdomen on 18th sept 2010 under GA. i am back to work today (5th day after surgery). i still have bad swelling around my belly area and have trouble getting myself up or lower myself on the bed/chair. is this normal
?"

Liposuction involves putting tumescent (swelling) fluid into the fat to greatly reduce blood losses. The liposuction itself produces a lot of inflammation which results in swelling. The swelling after liposuction also depends how the openings through which the liposuction was done are handled; were they left open to drain fluid? where they partially stitched to allow some fluid to drain? were the stitched shut precluding fluid drainage and were there any drain tubes used? EACH of these methods are used and has plusses and minuses. Leaving the access incisions open results in the least swelling but a big mess due to fluid leaking out.

Off hand I doubt anything is wrong but whenever in doubt stop by and allow your surgeon to examine and tell you for sure.

Dr. Peter Aldea