Will Vaser Lipo Tighten my Skin?

I am considering Vaser liposuction on abdomen and flanks in Houston. Will my skin really tighten up?

Will VASER liposuction tighten my skin?

+1

While VASER liposuction offers some real advantages in that it selectively removes fat cells while preserving the fibrous tissues that connect your skin to the underlying muscle, it does not specifically induce skin tightening. The amount of skin retraction that you get (which is an important component of the quality of your result) has much more to do with the intrinsic elasticity of your skin. If you have good quality elastic skin, then you should get good skin retraction from your procedure. If your skin has diminished elasticity with stretch marks and general laxity, then liposuction is not likely to give you the results you are hoping for. 

Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening after Vaser

+1

The heat generated by Vaser does tighten the skin more than traditional liposuction. More importantly, It is far less traumatic, because you are not "ripping the fat cells away from it's support tissue", patients have far less post operative pain and they can return to normal activities much sooner. Because all of the lasers used to melt the fat are not as selective as Vaser,  they can easily burn the skin and get uneven dimpling. Of course the skill of the surgeon is the most important factor in getting great results. The learning curve of lasers in liposuction is very steep and the downside has kept me from adopting  lasers in liposuction.

The cost of buying and maintaining the laser is 200% to 300% higher that Vaser and these costs are passed on to the patient

Michael Tomcik, MD
San Ramon Dermatologist

Liposuction and Skin Tightening

+1

Liposuction is an operation to remove fat. Nothing else.

Aside from surgical removal (Facelift, Tummy Tuck, Butt lift etc), Skin tightens in response to an injury, the extreme example of which is a 3rd degree burn in which the scar tissue relentlessly pulls heads to the chest and forearms to the arms with thick cord called contractures.

When injury takes place, scar tissue or Collagen in popular talk, is laid down and then remodelled. The degree of injury, its depth, your ethnic background will determine how much scar tissue is generated and how much pulling under the surface (IE "Skin Tightening") will take place.

Obviously, it would be great if doctors knew and could predicatively deliver the amount of injury sufficient to cause skin tightening WITHOUT causing dimpling, irregularities, or worse, skin burns and contractures. Unfortunately, we do not.

VASER liposuction may in some areas of the body (back, male breasts etc) deliver some skin tightening. But other devices on the market, such as laser liposuction devices (such as SmartLipo) purposefully heat the skin to get it to shrink. Unfortunately, shrinkage=skin injury and many patients having these procedures are also left with dimpling and irregularities.

Conclusion - if you may be satisfied with mild to minimal skin tightening - get VASER liposuction from a Board certified Plastic surgeon (check www.PlasticSurgery.org). If you want TOTAL flattening, get a Tummy Tuck. I would NOT recommend Laser liposuction at this time to anyone not willing to accept the possibility of permanent dimpling and irregularities.

Skin after vaser

+1

It depends. If you do not have deep stretch marks and your skin has good tone, has not lost elasticity, and is not already lax then you will probably be fine. Vaser does cause more skin tightening than traditional liposuction but there are limits. You should consult with a reputable plastic surgeon in your area.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD