Vaser Lipo on Abs/flanks. Body Garment 1st 2 Wks & Added Girdle over It Now. Told to Make Tight As Possible-is This Smart?

If the garment is not providing adequate compression

+1

I usually get a smaller or different type of garment.  The important issue is that the garment is not binding anywhere so as to create 'belt marks' creases or blisters.  Sometimes I have patients pad the garments to get the extra compression in  certain areas so as not to fold the skin down or create wrinkles.   Ultrasound liposuction,especially vaser, leaves fat behind that is very 'moldable'  so the key is to make the remaining fat layer as smooth and flat as possible for optimum skin  tightening and results.  Good luck!

Prolonged tight compression may lead to deformity

+1

In my practice, the first stage compression garment is recommended for the first 7-10 days followed by a second stage support garment for approximately 6 weeks. As the lymphatics recover at the end of 2-3 weeks, the tighter the compression, the more the lymphatic drainage is impaired and the worse the edema may become. I also, generally do not recommend a binder on top of the compression garment to avoid indentations and irregularities. I recommend discussing this matter with the surgeon who performed the procedure.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon