A Vascular/Endovascular Surgeon Said Not to Treat my Prominent Blue Temple vein because of scarring, is this true?

The Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon I recently Attended said that Vein Microphlebectomy will leave scars and he does not recommend it. He also said because I have a slight center forehead vein that if I treat / remove that Temple Vein that the Center Forehead vein will for certain enlarge a lot more? ...Is this true?

Temple Veins - Common Problem

+1
Temple veins are common, routinely treated, not interesting to treat for endovascular surgeons. There is no need for an endovascular specialist as they enjoy stenting aneurysms, peripheral arteries, carotid arteries and are not likley to spend the 1 hour to treat a cosmetic problem. These are not covered by insurance, require delicate microphlebectomy and patience and a board certified vein specialist (American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine) can take them out for you with minimal scarring. Expect to pay $1500 to 2,000 for this procedure. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Other options.

+1
There are many options for treating temporal veins besides microphlebectomies.  In fact, I rarely recommend microphlebectomy and I most commonly use either sclerotherapy or laser depending on the size of the veins.  Your surgeon is right in that there will be a small scar following surgical removal.  I have not seen a compensatory enlargement of a adjacent center forehead vein following treatment of temporal veins.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Temple Veins

+1
If you are a candidate, I would recommend Nd:Yag 1064nm laser for treatment of the smaller temple blue veins. I am not aware of any studies showing that after treatment of the temple veins the central forehead vein enlarges. I do not recommend treatment of the central forehead vein. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon