Steps to Treat and Prevent Varicose Veins?

What are the steps should I go for to fix varicose veins and prevent them frm appearing again. I'm 26 years old, female. The veins on both of my legs (especially above the knees from the back side) came to the surface. It's not only looking horrible, but it's becoming painful as well. I'm seeking advice for treatment not only for a cosmetic purpose, but to help me get rid of the whole problem and prevent them from appearing again. Thanks

Steps to treat and prevent varicose veins

+3

Dear Shaza,

In phlebology (the study of veins) we typically follow a classification scheme to determine at what level your vein disease is. We do this by conducting a series of examinations including history and physical. We use our eyes, digital palpation, as well as duplex/ultrasound and other non-invasive maneuvers (sometimes even invasive testing) to determine what kind of veins they are and how serious your problem may be.

Symptoms of varicose veins include heaviness, aching, swelling, itching, burning and restlessness.

Some patients will receive some relief from high quality compression stockings. In the 21st century there are many brands, although it is most important that they be appropriately fitted. For a young woman usually 30-40 mmHg compression stockings would be necessary although some patients prefer 20-30 mmHg compression even if they need a waist or thigh high with a 20-30 mmHg knee high on top of it. Medication that helps with the symptoms primarily includes non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) the most common of which is Motrin/Advil the generic name is Ibuprofen and it is an over the counter medication.

It is most important to be appropriately classified to know what treatment is best for you. Ultrasound can let us know if there is saphenous vein reflux. If present this may be taken care of by means of some type of surgery or minimally invasive corrective or ablative procedure such as laser or radiofrequency. Even if there is no significant reflux and your veins refill quickly they may have "feeder veins" that need to be addressed by a vascular surgeon or phlebologist.

Resources for finding a vein specialist are: American Board of Phlebology www.americanboardofphlebology.org The American College of Phlebology has links to physicians as well (www.phlebology.org).

Austin General Surgeon

Venous evaluation with reflux venous ultrasound.

+2

Anyone with symptomatic varicose veins should undergo a venous reflux exam to evaluate the status of the valves in the saphenous system and ancillary veins.  Symptomatic treatment of varicose veins consists of support stockings, leg exercise and elevation but these methods do not address the main problem of valvular reflux with the varicose veins and are only temporizing measures.  The gold standard of treatment is venous reflux exam and then closure of the leaking valves with either laser or radio frequency followed by localized treatments of the varicose/spider veins with either microphlebectomies, sclerotherapy or both.

Naples General Surgeon

Modern Vein Treatments are Available in Cyprus, Lebanon and the UAE

+2

Vein centers with phlebologists, i.e. Board Certified Vein Specialists are available in Lebanon, Cyprus and the Emirates. You can get a Duplex venous scan of the legs and a physicial examination. Once an examination is done, venous reflux is treated and later the varicose veins are addressed. If you go to a modern center, you can avoid painful vein stripping procedures.

Web reference: http://www.VeinsVeinsVeins.com

Buffalo General Surgeon

Treat varicose veins early to prevent worsening of symptoms

+2

You may be a candidate for medical treatment of your veins.  Once veins begin to cause symptoms, delay in treatment is not the option of choice. 

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/59/varicose-veins.aspx

Treat and Prevent Varicose Veins of the Legs

+1

In terms of prevention, varicose veins are usually caused by a genetic weakness of the valves within certain veins of the legs.  Since you are developing these at a very young age, likely you have the genetic predisposition.  Wearing prescription compression stockings helps slow the progression / worsening of the veins but will not cure the problem.

Other treatment options will depend on a physician evaluation and ultrasound study.  Some of the more common treatments include endovenous laser ablation, radiofrequency vein ablation, sclerotherapy, and surgical phlebectomy. 

I would recommend that you get evaluated by a vascular surgeon that specialized in vein treatments, as they will be able to provide you with the appropriate workup and a treatment plan.

Austin General Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.