Will Getting Veneers Help my Damaged Teeth?

The dentist said that it will be about $12000 out of pocket to get all my teeth fixed I was just wondering would it be better to get veneers instead? I really don't have the money to pay to get them all fixed and it seems like everytime I get one tooth fixed another one starts hurting. I thought about having them all pulled but I am only 27 and I don't want to do dentures yet if I can help it.

Veneers to restore teeth

+1

To really answer this question correctly, it is necessary to see what is going on with your mouth.  What is causing the problems that you have? Dry mouth? decay? A bad bite? neglect in the past? smoking? genetics?

There are numerous things to consider and if I was your dentist I would want to help you prevent this from happening again after your teeth are fixed.  As for veneers, they are very versatile and can be used to restore a wide range of problems, sometimes, a 3/4 veneer can be utilized and is more conservative than crowns.

The real issue at this time is what is causing the problems.  I do concur with the others that removing your teeth is not a good choice as long as the teeth have a good prognosis and can be correctly restored.  

Perhaps you can provide us with more information.

Best

Ron Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers for Damaged Teeth?

+1

Dr. Karavich and Dr. Patel have answered your question quite thoroughly. I wish only to add to the conversation - that you are 27 years old and considering have your teeth removed. Please do not have any part of your body removed because there is a substantial investment involved. I doubt you would have a finger removed if the cost of saving it was $12,000. Your teeth are an important part of your digestive system. They help you chew food properly, attract the opposite sex, make you and your partner enjoy kissing, and a beautiful healthy smile helps you improve your position at work. Find a well trained dentist and do WHATEVER it takes to get your teeth and gums in optimal health.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers on damaged teeth

+1

Porcelain veneers are a great tool to correct damaged smile, worn teeth, improve shape, contour and color of the central teeth. It is one of the best ways to renew the smile. Unfortunately porcelain veneers in majority of the cases only will improve esthetics. If the tooth is decayed and has minimal tooth structure it most likely will require root canal treatment, post and core and a crown. Extracting healthy teeth or the teeth that can be  saved is not a good idea. Problems with dentition do not disappear with teeth loss, they increase on contrary. Consult your dentist, ask form 2nd, 3rd  opinion, that will help you to make the right decision. 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Will veneers fix damaged teeth? Not always!

+1

It really depends on what kind of damage your teeth have. If it is due to cavities, then you need fillings or crowns to fix them. If they are worn out, then you need careful bite assessment and treatment will be based on those findings. If it is due to plaque buildup and gum disease, then you need treatment-cleanings or deep cleanings etc- for that. Veneers are thin porcelain shells, which cover the front surface of the teeth and are usually done to cover large restorations or imperfections to bring harmony to the smile for better esthetic outcomes. They may or may not be a solution for the type of damage you are talking about.

Please be more specific of your problem to get more help. 

Hema Patel, DDS
Fremont Cosmetic Dentist