What Type of Breast Implant Profile & Size is Best Suited for Me? (photo)

My PS has recommended Natrelle Inspira (low plus, round) N-SRLP 440g (Allergan silicone gel). My pre-op breast photos were done on Vectra machine. My concern is that my breasts will still an oblong shape pointing downwards. My PS suggested the low profile implant because it has a wider base that will give me the best fill of your breast & chest. Please provide any further recommendations and feedback! My surgery dates is 3 weeks away. Thank you in advance!

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Determining Best Implant Type and Size

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

What Type of Breast Implant Profile & Size is Best Suited for Me?

I'm sorry but these type of photos are of no real help to us. We would need standard front and side view, unaltered along with height and weight and breast measurements. I think you should get 1-2 more consults to make sure you are working with a surgeon you connect well with and are getting the results you want.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question. Vectra photos are not a guarantee of outcome. I recommend that you visit with your plastic surgeon to review your breast dimensions and tissue measurements again. When choosing implants it is important to discuss all of your options with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Recommendations for Implant Size

This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:  I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Photos are very helpful, but sometimes no substitute for an examination. 

It looks to me that you should perhaps consider a breast lift at the time you get your implants. On the one hand the "need" for a lift seems borderline on the photos, the fact that you seem to already consider the nipples and areolas low, suggests to me that you will not be pleased with the outcome--on a larger breast the nipples may be even more downwardly directed. 

As to size, without knowing your height, weight, breast width, cup size, and your size goal I would not be able to make a guess.  I would not be in favor of putting in an implant larger than you desire hoping for a lift or shape change that probably won't happen, leaving you too large, and not fully corrected.

Thanks for your question and photos. All the best.