Age 19, 135lbs, 5ft6 with a lot of weight loss: Do I Need a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm hoping to find out if I absolutely need a tummy tuck or if there's the possibility of me being able to tone out my stomach a bit? I used to be quite overweight as a kid, but I managed to shed off the weight. Currently I'm 19, 135 lbs and I am 5'6. My lifestyle is not the most active but I eat healthy and I want to start getting into the habit of to making it a daily routine. So, will I most likely need surgery? If so, which one would be the most helpful? and the estimated costs. Thank you.

Delay Tummy Tuck Until After Childbearing.

+2
Thank you for sharing your photo. Congratulations on your weight loss. A tummy tuck is effective in correcting rectus abdominus (6 pack) muscles that have been stretched after childbearing, removing excess abdominal skin, and helping to flatten the abdominal region. If performed before childbearing, the results of the procedure will be "undone" by the pregnancy.  Most surgeons recommend that patients wait until they are finished with childbearing prior to having this procedure. In the interim, laser lipo and other non-invasive body contouring treatments may be helpful in contouring the abdomen and tightening the skin. Seek consultation in person for futher evaluation and advice. Best wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Further weight loss and abdominal strengthening before tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your photographs. You are young and have good skin. I would not recommend a tummy tuck and its scarring at this time. At your age further weight loss and vigorous abdominal strengthening exercises will help you significantly. Once you have reached her ideal weight and have strictly lax skin without fat beneath the skin you can be evaluated for a mini tummy tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Skin

+1

Minimally invasive procedures will produce minimal results. They will improve your look but the only way to get rid of the hanging skin is with excision

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Do I need a tummy tuck?

+1

Based on the photos you have submitted, continuing to workout will improve the way you look but it will not get rid of that skin that you see hanging in the front.  A tummy tuck is definitely the best option to not only get rid of that skin but also to remove some fat and to tighten up the six pack abs.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Plastic Surgeons that offer a range of body contouring options will be able to guide you.

+1

You have some skin laxity that would likely be best managed with some type of tummy tuck. However, this recommendation may be changed once this area has been examined and put into proper context for you. Your goals, expectations, future family plans and many other factors will need to be assessed. The benefits and limitations of non-surgical treatments, different liposuction technologies and customized tummy tuck solutions should all be considered. Once you have accurate and objective  information you can decide your next move. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

is usually required but I'm not sure I would push for a full tummy tuck in your situation.  The recommended procedure will depend on your motivations and expectations.  Yes, a procedure can definitely be done to improve your contours but you need to discuss this in detail with your selected surgeon and do some homework to find out the range of fees that are in your area.  Good luck!

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck or not

+1

I think you are an ideal candidate for a full tummy tuck. I would rob ably not do a muscle repair assuming you have not had children and would like to have them in the future. Pregnancy may stretch the skin again, but the tummy tuck can always be revised after you are done with childbearing. I would go for the full tummy tuck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Exercise and eating right is great for your health

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  Congratulations on your weight loss and commitment to exercise and live a healthier lifestyle. Since you are so young, you should have more elasticity in your skin than someone who is older than you. If your weight loss was relatively recent, some on that extra skin may still contract a little.  Exercise is great for your stomach muscles but, unfortunately, does nothing for the skin. As you have not yet had your children (I presume) you may want to avoid a full tummy tuck at this time. You could probably get by with a mini-tuck or just a panniculectomy which is just removing the extra skin without muscle work or moving the belly button. Obviously, this advice is given without an evaluation which could change my recommendation depending on how the muscles feel and the quality of your skin. Make sure that you see a surgeon that is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck necessary for loose skin

+1

If abdominal skin could be toned with exercise, we would send patients to the gym instead of taking them to the operating room. And although there are nonsurgical technologies that can tighten skin a little bit, they don't come close to what a tummy tuck does. Congratulations on your successful weight loss and lifestyle changes, that will pay off in the long run and help to maintain th results from a tuck. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Do I need a tummy tuck or is there an alternative?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. Although you do have loose skin on the lower abdomen, I suggest VASER liposuction for you on the abdomen, back, waist and hips. This procedure will define your shape and tighten the skin. If you still have loose skin after this, than I would do a lower abdominal skin excision (can be done under local). This way, the incision will be shorter than if you would have the skin excision tummy tuck done right now. I believe that you will have a better result in the long run. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon