Tanning and Breast Reduction?

I'm wondering if tanning will have a negative impact on my BR scars and how long after surgery I should wait to tan? Are there any products I could apply to my incisions to block the UV rays?

Tanning and breast reduction

+1
Some of our breast reduction patients are the happiest that we have in the practice. These are the women with significant bra strapping, back and neck pain. If you are going to reduce the size of the breast significantly, you most likely will have scars. Scars are permanent. They end to fade over time. We have our patients keep the scars away from UV light, and use scar cream.  We can talk about scar revision, but usually wait at least a year.

Tanning after breast reduction

+1

Tanning can be harmful to scars for a full year after surgery.  If you are going to get in the sun or lay in the tanning bed make sure your breasts are covered with a high spf sunscreen, zinc oxide.  If you do not, the scars may come in raised and hyperpigmented. I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards,

Neil j. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tanning is not recommended before or after surgery

+1

As you are aware, tanning is harmful in many ways and  I do not recommend tanning however, the scars should be covered if you plan on tanning.  Covering your incision with a band-aid, using a thin strip of colored tape and also applying sun block containing zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide are ways to cover the incision/scar.  It's best to wait 6 months before you are exposing your scars to sunlight.  I hope this helps.  

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Tanning after Breast Reduction?

+1

Most dermatologists and plastic surgeons will tell you that it is best not to “tan” ever,  given the potential for development of skin cancer. As far as the breast reduction scars are concerned, I would suggest that you give yourself one  year before exposing the scars to direct ultraviolet radiation.

Tanning and breast reduction scars

+1

I would avoid exposing your scars to the sun for at least a year. If you do then you should wear sun block because the scars may become hyperpigmented.

Tanning after Breast Reduction

+1

It is best to avoid sun and tanning for up to 6 months after surgery as the scars may become more pigmented (darker). This depends on your skin type and other factors. It would be good to completely block the scars with a physical barrier like thick medical tape as clothes can let UV rays through. It would better to not do ANY artifical tanning as it will damage your skin.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon