Is It Normal to Not Have Any Drainage? (photo)

I had liposuction on my abdomen, hips, thighs and knees yesterday and so far my body is completely dry. I'm not complaining! I just want to know if its ok. Should there be drainage and might it happen later? Thanks.

Drainage

+3

It is ok if you don't have drainage. I now leave the site open if I am using small Canullas  I think the swelling resolves quicker. But for larger sites I do close them for better scarring. But don't be surprised if you see drainage a week or two from now. This could just be built up fluid which finally finds a place to escape.  

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Sometimes no drainage

+2

Lucky you! Some patients drain more than others and it is unusual to have none. Variables include how much wetting solution was used and if the incisions are sutured. Even when a single suture is place at each incision there is commonly some drainage. As an aside, I like my patients to wear their compression garment continuously for at least 6 days. Should you be out of yours already? With my patients, I'm concerned about things not healing as smoothly as possible and the risk of fluid collections under the skin from discontinuing compression too soon after liposuction. Good luck, result looks good at 1 day!

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Drainage after lipo

+2

Fluid coming through the little incisions done to do liposucion, also depends on the technique used, so if he/she used a small amount of liquid instead of tumescent, then a small amount of fluid is expected and that minimum will be absorbed by your own body. Adding the incisions were sealed, then no fluid will come out. You just have to be thorough on monitoring your abdomen ( mainly) where seroma may develop. Seroma is a pocket of fluid and that will need to be sucked out. The sign is a wavy surface. Hopefully your evolution goes with NO complication. Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

No Drainage after Liposuction Surgery?

+2

Yes, when insicion lines are closed after liposuction surgery, little to drainage is expected.

Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Drainage after liposuction

+1

It's OK not to have any drainage after liposuction. If the nurses have done an exceptional job at "squeegeeing" out the local anesthesia solution, then there may be almost no obvious drainage. And, some sites will drain more than others. Whatever doesn't drain will be naturally absorbed and processed by your body.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Fluid drainage after Liposuction

+1

It is common to have some fluid drainage following liposuction for a couple of days.  The amount of fluid depends on technique used and whether the incisons were closed.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction, smart laser liposuction

+1

The drainage after liposuction varies greatly and depends on multiple factors including the amount of fluid put in, the amount of aspirate, the amount of fluid squeezed out by the nursing staff. 

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Absence of drainage after liposuction is of no concern.

+1

Occasionally, patient will have no drainage after liposuction. This is somewhat unusual but is of no concern.

+1

That is a "good" thing though rare. Be sure you received an appropriate liposuction. What was the amounts infused and removed?? 

Little to no drainage after liposuction

+1

Every patient is different.   Sometimes patients have a lot of drainage, sometimes patients have little to nothing at all.   I am sure you will have a post-operative visit with your surgeon soon to review everything, but sounds good so far.   Best of luck.

Christopher T. Maloney Jr., MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon