2 Wks Post-op (Upper Blephoraplasty) - Eyelids Very Itchy and Doesn't Close Completely?

1) Any suggestions on what I can do to manage the itch? I found myself rubbing/scratching my eyelids when I sleep. I use Natural Tears drop as needed to combat dryness. 2) My eyelids don't shut completely yet. When shall I anticipate this to improve? Anything I can do to help it along? Thanks.

Eyelids Not Closing 2 Weeks After Blepharoplasty

Hi Chronic,

You should consult with your blepharoplasty surgeon regarding your eyes.  Usually the eyelids eventually close after blepharoplasty within a few days to a week or two.  It is most important that you protect your corneas from injury or dryness.  Using artificial tears and even taping your eyelids shut when you go to sleep would be helpful.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

These are both common after Upper Eyelid Surgery and you should consider calling the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery for an appointment to be sure that the incisions are healing well as well as recommendations to keep the eyes moist and well lubricated.  

Upper lid blepharoplasty

It is common for the incisions to be a bit itchy. They usually get better with some time.  As for eye clsoure issues, that could be from swelling or too much skin removed.  Follow closely with your doctor and follow his instructions.

Itching after eyelid surgery is common. Don't rub your eyes it will only make it worse

Itching after eyelid surgery is a common complaint. Cool compresses will generally suffice to ameliorate symptoms. Rubbing the eyelids releases histamine and will aggravate the problem.

Itching 2 Weeks After Upper Eyelid Surgery

It is not uncommon to have swelling 2 weeks after upper eyelid surgery.  Depending upon how swollen you are, complete closure may be hampered as well.  The main thing here is to protect your cornea from dryness .  Without pictures or an exam, I would highly recommend seeing your plastic surgeon.