2 Wks Post-op (Upper Blephoraplasty) - Eyelids Very Itchy and Doesn't Close Completely?

1) Any suggestions on what I can do to manage the itch? I found myself rubbing/scratching my eyelids when I sleep. I use Natural Tears drop as needed to combat dryness. 2) My eyelids don't shut completely yet. When shall I anticipate this to improve? Anything I can do to help it along? Thanks.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Upper blepharoplasty

+2

Itchiness after surgery is a very commonly experienced around the incision this early in the postoperative period.  Be careful not to scratch or rub too hard, since your incision are still fairly week and can open if you are too aggressive.  Furthermore, rubbing will just worsen the problem.   Its important to distinguish itchiness inside your eye verses the eyelid incision.  If its inside your eye, then you should discuss this with your surgeon.  At 2 weeks, it is still common to have swelling which may be preventing full eye closure.  While waiting for the the swelling to subside, it's important to keep your eye moist with drops and possibly ointment.  

Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelids Not Closing 2 Weeks After Blepharoplasty

+2

Hi Chronic,

You should consult with your blepharoplasty surgeon regarding your eyes.  Usually the eyelids eventually close after blepharoplasty within a few days to a week or two.  It is most important that you protect your corneas from injury or dryness.  Using artificial tears and even taping your eyelids shut when you go to sleep would be helpful.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

+2

These are both common after Upper Eyelid Surgery and you should consider calling the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery for an appointment to be sure that the incisions are healing well as well as recommendations to keep the eyes moist and well lubricated.  

Upper lid blepharoplasty

+2

It is common for the incisions to be a bit itchy. They usually get better with some time.  As for eye clsoure issues, that could be from swelling or too much skin removed.  Follow closely with your doctor and follow his instructions.

Itching after eyelid surgery is common. Don't rub your eyes it will only make it worse

+2

Itching after eyelid surgery is a common complaint. Cool compresses will generally suffice to ameliorate symptoms. Rubbing the eyelids releases histamine and will aggravate the problem.

Itching 2 Weeks After Upper Eyelid Surgery

+2

It is not uncommon to have swelling 2 weeks after upper eyelid surgery.  Depending upon how swollen you are, complete closure may be hampered as well.  The main thing here is to protect your cornea from dryness .  Without pictures or an exam, I would highly recommend seeing your plastic surgeon.