Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I'm in my 20s and have very thin skin. I think I have a deviated septum (but I'm not sure why?), and I'm also bothered by the slight bump in my bridge and my bulbous and drooping tip, which is accentuated when I smile. Is my case a straightforward one or would I require a complicated procedure? Could my breathing be improved by correcting my deviated septum?

Septo-rhinoplasty to improve breathing and cosmetic apperance

+1

Based on your photos, I would say your nose is very nice and if you did decide to have surgery you should expect subtle changes. It would be ideal to see the rest of your face to assess how your nose fits with your other features. To make the changes that you describe, you would require an open rhinoplasty with hump reduction, tip rotation and tip refinement. If you do have breathing issues this should be assessed at your consultation. If you would benefit from a septoplasty then it could be performed at the same time as the rhinoplasty.

You asked if you case would be straightforward - the most natural looking cosmetic rhinoplasties happen when a series of subtle changes are made to the bridge and the tip of the nose. While expert rhinoplasty surgeons will perform this kind of multi-step surgery on a regular basis (ie it is very routine for us) I certainly wouldn't call this kind of surgery "simple" since rhinoplasty is one of the most complicated cosmetic surgeries to master.

It should become fairly obvious when you explore the websites of surgeons in your area who specializes in this type of surgery. Your surgical consultation should include computer imaging, a nasal examination and the chance for you to view many examples of patients who have had similar changes to what you would have.

The video is a case study of a patient for whom I did hump reduction, tip rotation and tip refinement. The link to the site will take you to the other rhinoplasty resources we have on our site.

All the best to you.

Web reference: http://www.8west.ca/rhinoplasty/

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

+1

All of the things you describe are commonly addressed during a rhinoplasty.  There a lot of moving parts when performing a rhinoplasty so you need to go to a board certified plastic surgeon to have your surgery done. Imaging can be helpful to help communicate what you are seeking as your final result. 

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

+1

Physically, you're an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. I never call any rhinoplasty simple or routine because I feel it is arguably the most challenging cosmetic procedure that we do. The key to success is selecting an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. Nasal breathing obstruction can be reduced or eliminated during the procedure.

Rhinoplasty options for bridge bump, bulbous tip and septal deviation

+1

The issues you describe sound like commonly encountered concerns in rhinoplasty patients. The bridge bump can be shaved down. The bulbous tip can be refined and narrowed somewhat along with straightening your septum. The drooping of your tip with smiling can also be addressed as well.

You can check out my web reference link below to read more about these rhinoplasty techniques.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyinseattle.com/rhinoplasty-treatments/bulbous-tip

Rhinoplasty, Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

+1

Hello Lisa

Your case is pretty straight forward. 

In order to give you a sophisticated , yet natural looking nose you would benefit from an open rhinoplasty in order to treat the bulbous tip, dorsal hump, relative wide dorsum , deviated septum , drooping tip upon animation and any additional moves deemed necessary during the procedure.

You should be able to go back to work within a week.

Thank you

Web reference: http://www.dradibfar.com/Doctors/DrAdibfar/procedures/20face/68nosereshaping

Good candidate for rhinoplasty

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure would involve  shaving a small hump down which is composed of both bone and cartilage. Osteotomies of the nasal bones will probably be required. The bulbous tip is best addressed with a combination of either cartilage removal or tip suturing techniques of the lower lateral cartilages.  Releasing of the depressor septi ligament  will prevent the tip from drooping when smiling. A deviated septum can be repaired at the same time, if it is blocking air flow. This is a straightforward primary rhinoplasty and septoplasty. For examples, please see the link below

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty_photos24.html

Rhinoplasty suggestions

+1

Yes I think that you nose looks fairly straight forward, but you need a good exam to determine the "strength " of your nose, especially the tip. Sometimes you may need some additional steps which experienced surgeons should be able to perform without a problem. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/procedures/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty/

Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

+1

Each rhinoplasty patient will have different goals in mind and what you are suggesting is reasonable.   An internal exam would be necessary to evaluate to the appropriateness of septoplasty if you are experiencing breathing difficulties.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.