Why Valium As a Post Tummy Tuck Muscle Relaxant?

Why do doctors use Valium as a muscle relaxant after Tummy Tuck instead of a non-narcotic muscle relaxant?

Muscle relaxation helps your recovery after tummy tuck

+2

Muscle relaxation can help with your postop recovery.  I use a drug called robaxin, but there are others like flexeril.  Valium works too but can have a sedative affect which is helpful in some patients.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Valium is a good option for postop care

+2

Valium is not  just an anti-anxiety medication, but it has a role as an anti-spasm medication as well.   It is a nice supplement to primary narcotic medications and other non-narcotic anti-inflammatory pain medications such as toradol.  Each surgeon has their own preferred postoperative protocols for pain control.  We have the ability to tailor these protocols to suit the individual needs of each patient.  

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Why Valium after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Many of my patients who undergo tummy tuck surgery find that valium is very helpful; it works well as a muscle relaxant  that can be very helpful after muscle plication performed during the tummy tuck operation.  Some find it more useful than narcotics that are often prescribed as well. 

Valium for postop muscle spasms

+2

I give all my patients Valium for postop breast spasms and tightness in tummy tuck and breast augmentation surgery.  It is not a narcotic and works great.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+2

Valium is not a narcotic, and it is one of the most effective muscle relaxants. Alternatives are available to those who prefer them, and that is something you should discuss with your surgeon. Thanks and best wishes. 

Valium is not a narcotic and is used as a muscle relaxant.

+1

I don't believe Valium actually relaxes muscles.  It does relieve anxiety so the patient might percieve that the muscles are not as tight.  Doesn't matter really if the patient feels better.  Valium is not a narcotic.

Valium helps relieve muscle spasm

+1

As others have indicated, Valium is an excellent medication for helping with the muscle spasm component of pain after tummy tuck and breast surgery.  It seems to be more effective than other medicines, such as Flexeril, and it is usually well tolerated.  We use it routinely and it seems to decrease the need for narcotics and works well with medicines like Advil (ibuprofen).

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Valium is very helpful after Tummy Tuck

+1

I routinely prescribe Valium in addition to narcotics after tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  This helps to reduce your tightness after surgery by reducing the severity and intensity of the muscular spasms.  Routinely after a tummy tuck, the muscles are tightened to help correct the stretch after childbearing and this can lead to more muscle spasms which is relieved with Valium or Flexeril.

Tripti Burt, MD

Valium is a muscle relaxant, not a narcotic

+1

Thank you for your question. Valium is not a narcotic. It works to reduce anxiety and to relax muscles and reduce muscle spasms. Some patients get back pain from not being able to stand up after a tummy tuck and some get muscle spasms in their abdomen where the muscles were sutured. Valium helps with both of these and I find that my patients take fewer narcotics if they take a little valium in between their doses of pain pills.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Valium after tummy tuck

+1

Valium is an excellent medication to aid with post-operative muscle relaxation after surgery, as it will decrease the amount of narcotic medication required for pain control.  It is non-narcotic, so it can be used alternatively with the narcotic pain medication.  It is very inexpensive, as most cash-paying cosmetic patients are appreciated of.

Robert Kratschmer, MD