Vaginoplasty Aftercare Concerns

What are the things that contribute to the vagina returning to its pre-op size after Vaginoplasty?

Vaginal laxity recurrence after Vaginoplasty.

+2

The recurrence of laxity after a Vaginoplasty has been preformed can be multifactorial and relates to a dehiscience or stretching. In the former condition causes may include inadequate repair of the muscles forming the pelvic sling, suture problems, or resumption of sexual activity too early in the postoperative period. In the latter, over time there will undoubtedly be some enlargement or stretching of the tissues as there was between the time sexual intercourse began and the period before pregnancy, however, you should not experience the degree of laxity you had after childbirth again unless you have another vaginal delivery.

Vaginoplasty

+1

Good vaginoplasty is to repair the muscles and not only the skin. That is the only determining factor. Muscle repauir. Not lasers and other gimmicks.

The surgery is more involved than just skin, a little more painfull and may resume normal sexual relations in 6-8 weeks.

After care of the surgery is very involved, you need to keep the surgical site clean and bathe with surgical soap at least two to three time daily and apply antibiotic ointment to the suture line.

Fat transfer has been used to fill the lateral wall of the vagina as a nice final toutch to vaginoplasty with good success, normal feel, no scarring.

Recurrence of vaginal laxity following vaginoplasty, tightenting or rejuvenation

+1

I aggree completely with Dr. Koobehi.

Recurrence can be due to:

1. poor repair of muscles or facial structures relying on skin or mucosa only
  2. post operative dehsicence caused by suture breakdown
  3. Resuming other vaginal sources of distension too early in the post operative period such as sex, vaginal manipulation
  4. pregnancy,

Poor repair or early sexual activities

+1

The best treatment is proper muscle repair and not just skin repair. Your surgeon can explain to you what repair he has done. The other problem can be early sexual activitie before tissue had time to heal, I recommend my patient to wait at lease 4-6 weeks.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon