Will Vaginal Laser Hair Removal Cause Redness, Swelling, Bumps and Itching? (photo)

I had my first Brazilian laser treatment done almost 30 days ago. Since then I've experienced a lot of itching and swelling and small raised bumps especially after I shave. Its almost unbearable. I've been to the doctor twice and all results come back negative for STD's, infections, etc. Except she did notice a large amount of white blood cells and gave me an antibiotic. I have dark hair and light skin. Also, I've noticed an increased amount of ingrown hairs since this treatment.

Laser Hair Removal Brazilian

+2

Yes you can have itchiness and swelling the first few treatments,  It is very common to have redness as a side effect. It should last a couple days, you can use aloe vera to soothe it and take down the inflammation Shaving will irritate the area.with continued laser treatments you get. you will have less ingrown hairs. if this persist i would follow up with your dr. it could be a underling issue.

"Dr.D"

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal

+1

This common for first treatments.  A mild first treatment is the best way to avoid this reaction.  We try to increase energy as the hair population is thinned.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Itching

+1

It is hard to say without seeing you what exactly is going on. We instruct our patients not to shave much between laser hair removal treatments. The laser treatment itself does not produce in grown hairs. Actually it helps that problem. You need to contact your doctor about this (hopefully you are going to a physician's office for the hair removal)

Michael Hueneke, MD

Brazilian Bikini laser Hair Removal

+1
A possible reason for this experience may be tha some hair was left on the skin and not completely shaved prior to the treatment. The laser energy should be absorbed by the root of the hair in order for a treatment to be safe and effective. Hair on the surface of the skin can cause irritation and can make the process less effective. The other issue might be the laser that was used, Alexandrite is safe and effective for light to medium skin and a long pulsed nd yag is most effective for dark skin.  IPL often results in skin irritation 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon