Vacuum Bell Work for Pectus Excavatum?

I have mild form of PE (Pectus Excavatum) and it is starting to bother me as I can't take my top of in public, so on. I have looked a options and the vacuum bell by klobe or costa is the only one that will work for me, based on cost, and not getting a referral from GP. So, does anyone know if this works? Has there been cases where people have had permanent results? I don't want to waste a lot of money and time if this does not work. All I can find is a 2006 study on it.

Pectus correction and the Vacuum Bell

+2

I have no personal experience with the Eckart Klobe Vacuum Bell. The device is purported to work much like the vacuum devices in auto detailing / dent removal shops work by application of a tight sustained vacuum. Several small studies were published on it (Schier F, Bahr M, Klobe E (March 2005). "The vacuum chest wall lifter: an innovative, nonsurgical addition to the management of pectus excavatum". J. Pediatr. Surg. 40 (3): 496–500 and Haecker, FM; Mayr J (April 2006). "The vacuum bell for treatment of pectus excavatum: an alternative to surgical correction?". European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 29 (4): 557–561. )

Because of the scarring and morbidity of pectus correction operations, I would try using this device under the supervision of a physician, before considering having either a custom implant placement or a pectus correction operation.

Dr. P. Aldea

The treatment of pectus excavatum

+1

The only recognized treatments for pectus excavatum are placement of an implant or cutting of the bone and reshaping it to remove the indentation. External suction applied to the skin surface will not pull out the indent because the defective bone is unaffected by the suction. I have performed a number of the implant procedures with good results.

Aaron Stone, MD