Vacationing After Rhinoplasty?

Im going on vacation to Florida in a little while and Im about 1 month post op. I wanted to double check that itll be safe to go onto rides, and will mild sun exposure (since its hard to avoid there) be a problem?

Sun and Fun after Rhinoplasty

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Vacationing after rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding his or her post-operative guidelines. I generally advise my patients to limit sun exposure for the first 6 months following surgery. If it is necessary to be in the sun, a high spf sunscreen should be used. A hat can be worn as well to protect you from the sun. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Going on vacation after a rhinopalsty

+1

At one month you should be fine to go on vacation.  Just be careful with sun exposure on the nose and use appropriate SPF protection.  

Rhinoplasty and one month out going on vacation

+1

At one month out from your rhinoplasty, you should be OK to go on vacation. I think that you have to be a bit careful with the nose for a few more weeks.  Best to ask you surgeon.

Sun Exposure and Rides 1 Month After Rhinoplasty

+1

Wearing a hat or at least sunscreen would be advisable.  Going on rides may or may not be a great idea, depending upon the nature of the ride and the potential for jarring (like bumper cars).  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Activity guidelines following rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question. For my patients, I clear them to fly around 7 days after rhinoplasty. They may exercise (running, yoga, weights) around 2 to 2.5 weeks after surgery. Contact sports such as football and basketball should be delayed until around 6-8 weeks after surgery, as the nasal bones take some time to heal after osteotomies. For the first few months, sunscreen application on the open rhinoplasty incision is wise, to keep it from becoming darker in color (hyperpigmented).

At a month, I would think you'd be fine to  ride amusement park rides, as long as you were careful not to bump your nose. You should definitely clear it with your surgeon though! 

Have a great trip,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon