How Long Does Redness Last After V Beam?

I had V Beam treatment a week ago for broken blood vessels on face, and had a significant swelling that subsided after a few days. However, I still have lingering redness.

I am just wondering, approximately how long does redness post treatment last? Does redness mean blood vessels are trying to coagulate? If this is true, how long does coagulation take? How long should I wait to heal before the next treatment? For the next treatment, how do you know the difference between what needs to be treated and areas that are still just trying to heal?

Depends... usually a few days

+1
For broken blood vessels I usually tell patients that V Beam will give redness, swelling and possibly bruising for a few days. Ice ice ice straight after V beam laser can reduce the duration of all the above. It also depends on factors such as settings of the vbeam laser, the severity of broken blood vessels and what medications you are taking. Fish oil, anti inflammatories, asprin etc... can increase the swelling and bruising and lengthen healing time.

Healing is easily visible- ie. reduction in blood vessels and redness, this should be evident on pre and post treatment photos. 

I usually wait 3-6 weeks between treatments for teles and rosacea, and 2-4 months for conditions such as port wine stains or birthmarks.

Hope that helps

Dr Davin S Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Redness only last a few days after V-Beam

+1

Redness can persist for a week or two following VBeam treatment. Heating up small blood vessels leads to their rapid shrinkage. Blood within these vessels rapidly exits, leading to extravasated (outside) red blood cells that can give the skin a pink or bruised appearance. Healing or persistence can be gauged by looking at regional redness verses the persistence of fine snaky blood vessels.

Bobby Buka, MD

Redness can last a few hours to a few days after V-Beam

+1

The redness after the procedure really depends on the setting that is used.  I find that with conservative settings, we almost always can avoid long term redness or any down time.  It is always important to go to a skilled laser physician for these treatments.

Michele S. Green, MD

Redness lasts short period

+1

After V Beam laser for rosacea, the redness usually subsides after a few days.  However, this could be dependent on the settings and how aggressive your treatment was.  I suggest you contact your physician if you have lingering redness.

Mandy Lynn Warthan, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Redness usually only a day or two after Vbeam

+1

In my experience, the most troubling effect after Vbeam laser is the swelling which typically lasts several days. Most of the redness experienced by patients I have treated has resolve in 24 hours or less, with a few patients having redness that lasts a bit longer 48-72 hours. I wonder if you are reacting to anything that you are putting on your skin. The interval between treatments is 3-6 weeks and usually most if not all of the initial treatment area is treated in subsequent treatments.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

The redness usually lasts days

+1

Bruising is a side effect that can take 2 weeks to resolve, but redness and swelling usually subsize within several days. I would contact your dermatologist to make sure everything is OK. It could be related to a medication you are taking.

Intervals are usually 3-6 weeks between sessions, but usually no more than 3 are needed.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist