Can Botox Be Used to Treat TMJ?

My question is about using botox for treatment of TMJ sydrome & also getting benefits of cosmetic appearance. I'm a 49 year old white male that has suffered from TMJ syndrome since the early 1980s. I had Bilateral TMJ arthroplasties done, which were unsuccessful. I'm on a number of medications for severe firbroymaliga, Lumbar dicsogenic syndrome & lumbar facet syndrome. I do go to a pain clinic. I'm currently on 6 different pain medications. I would really like to try Botox since i heard so much about it being used for myscofacial pain syndrome. Does it work?

Botox often helps TMJ

+1

I have had success using Botox for TMJ with many patients. It does work completely in every patient but the side effects are negligible and if you can afford to at least try it I think it is worth a try.  It is quick (takes less than a minute) and usually requires 20-60 units.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can be a very effective treatment for TMJ pain

+1

Botox can be used to relax the masseter and/or temporalis muscles that can be major contributing factors to TMJ pain.  I have several patients who have achieved significant reduction in their pain and discomfort when other therapies have failed.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Botox a good option for TMJ sufferers

+1

Botox injections in key areas of the very large muscles that contribute to TMJ is a good option for many. In fact, one of our nurse practitioners was treated for this with good outcomes. She had been relying on 800 mg of Ibuprofen per day to get relief from this condition prior to using Botox. An added benefit was a nice softening of the masseter muscles to create a more feminine appearance.

Be certain to find a practitioner that is experienced in injecting this area for this type of condition.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox can be very effective in TMJ treatment.

+1

One of the most common causes of TMJ is hyperactivity of the Masseter and Temporalis muscles.  In these cases injection of Botox can be extremely effective.  The botox needs to be placed in several spots in the belly of the muscles and the results can be evident even within a week.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for TMJ?

+1

Botox could be beneficial but would best be administered by an expert in TMJ syndrome such as a maxillofacial surgeon or oral surgeon.

This condition can have multiple causes and is extremely difficult to treat.