Tazorac Flakiness. Looks Terrible With Sunscreen/Makeup. Any Tips?
- Asked by Anonymous73 in USA
- 10 months ago
Hey there, I am using Tazorac cream .1% for wrinkles and really like it with one exception...flakiness around nose, mouth and chin. I use cream under and over it, and have also used it for 2 min and 5 min. I tolerate it well except for the flakiness is annoying and looks terrible when I put on sunscreen/foundation. Any tips? Microdermabraton helps but I can't keep running to the aesthetician every couple of weeks- not convenient w/kids in tow. Tips that I can do at home would be helpful. Thanks.
Tazorac is a prescription retinoid used for acne, and off-label, for skin rejuvenation. One of the well known side effects of retinoids is irritation: flakiness, dryness, redness and irritation. Here are some suggestions for using retinoids:
- Start first with a good quality OTC retinoid, such as retinol to get used to it
- Use the lowest strength cream that is available
- Use only a green pea-sized amount for the entire face
- Wait 20 minutes after washing your face before applying
- Avoid the corners of the eyes, nose and mouth; these are more prone to irritation
- Apply every 3rd night for a week, then every other night and build into a daily regimen slowly
- Use a good moisturizer
Skin Care Photos
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.