Can I Get a Labiaplasty Revision Before It's Healed? Since the Cut is Still Fresh? (photo)

I am one week post op and have a feeling this is the worst decision I have made in my life. I wish I could go back in time and change this mistake. Anyway, I had a labiaplasty one week ago can I have a revision done asap since it's still fresh?

Labiaplasty revision surgeon

+1

The final results of your labiaplasty should be apparent in several months. I perform many revision labiaplasty procedures and feel that it is too soon to consider a revision at this stage. 

Labiaplasty revision

+1

I reviewed your photos. You had a trimming technique which probably removed too much of your labia. This can also cause the clitoral hood to look larger and actually move up.  There is nothing that can be done at this time, and nothing should be done for at least five months. The swelling will decrease during this time, and you may have small, but acceptable, labia.  If you have very small labia and wish them reconstructed, I would take the sides of your clitoral hood and make them into labia minora, which I invented about six years ago.  I published the only major article on labia reconstruction after labiaplasty in the prestigious plastic surgery journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago.‚Äč In that article, I published the technique of clitoral hood flaps for labia reconstruction and have done it now about 30 times, all successfully. You must control your anxiety and desire for instant improvement as you will only have one good attempt to reconstruct your labia. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Revision Before It's Healed Not a Good Idea

+1

In the initial post-operative period, it is not unusual for patients to have some remorse.  At 1 week, there is still a lot of swelling.  The appearance at 1 week after labiaplasty surgery is nothing like it will look at 3-6 months.  Furthermore, there is not a lot that can be done 1 week after the surgery since everything is swollen and sutured together.  It is important for you to follow up with your surgeon to be sure everything is progressing normally.  Do not rush into anything at this early stage.  Revisions should not even be considered until 3 months after the initial surgery.  I hope this helps calm your nerves.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Revision at One Week Postop

+1

Labiaplasty revision at 1 week would lead to sutures pulling out and everything separating due to inflammation.

Revising labiaplasty (or any other surgery) in the acute post-op recovery process

+1

is usually a very bad idea.  When you say revision, what are you trying to achieve?  You can't go back to your pre-op state and I'm sorry you are feeling so badly abour your results.  With healing, you may better appreiciate the end result and be happier and I hope that is what your outcome will be.  If not, you should discuss your concerns with your doctor and hopefully she/he will be honest without as to whether she/he can achieve what you are desiring.

Curtis Wong, MD

Final labiaplasty results cannot be seen after only one week.

+1

You definately have to be fully healed before attempting a revision.  You have a lot of swelling right now and your final result would not be precise if revised at this point. Also laser versus electrocautery makes a big difference.  Please see the attached video. (warning: may contain graphic material).  

Labiaplasty revision should wait until complete healing takes place

+1

NO - you will be making a bigger mistake by attempting a revision prior to final healing and swelling resolution. Besides you still do not know what the final outcome will be. One Week is Way Too Early to tell a labiaplasty result.

The Final Result of Labiaplasty varies from patient to patient and depends on many factors including the complexity of surgery, amount of skin/mucosa removed, amount of swelling, post operative activity, whether you are a smoker and many other factors. You can tell little at just two weeks following surgery and it is common for one side to swell more than another. Your final result may take several months so best to allow some time to pass before making any conclusions about the outcome success.tincture of time is the hardest medicine to prescribe but chances are you will do well when the swelling goes down.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Labiaplasty Healing

+1

It looks like your sutures are still in place.  The incisions will typically smooth out after the sutures are removed. Swelling will resolve over several months.  It is best to wait on revisions until swelling is resolved.

David Stoker, MD

Labiaplasty revision

+1

Although it is possible to do a revision on something grossly abnormal or uneven within a couple weeks after surgery, in the majority of cases there is distortion of the tissue from swelling preventing a reasonable evaluation and thus a decisive surgical plan at this early stage.  Based upon your photos, I would say best to wait for the anatomy to take shape as more time passes and seek a second opinion in the meantime if you can.  Glad to help...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD