Will CT Scan Have Any Side Effect on Breast Implants?

Hi, I did a breast augmentation about 5 months ago, and recently accompanied my child for a CT scan. As my child moved about alot, I was asked to remain with him during the scan, and I was given a lead apron to put on to reduce the radiation exposure to my body. Can I check if the radiation I was exposed to while acompanying my child for a CT scan would cause any adverse effect on my breast implants (e.g. capsular contracture)? Thanks. Regards

CT Scan Effects on Breast Implants

+1

In general, the radiation exposure from CT scan is very small and the apron makes this exposure even less.  I would not worry about the effects of this minimal amount of radiation to your breasts or your breast implants.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Ct scan

+1

A CAT scan should have no effect on your breasts. It also does not cause capsular contracture. We use it for diagnostic purposes also.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Effects of CT scans on breast implants

+1

Hello.

Simply, there is no documented side effects of CT scanning on breast implants.

Also, the prepping you undergo for CT scanning will make the exposure to radiation minimal; your implants should not be at increased risks hence nothing to worry about.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and CT Scan

+1

There are no reports that I know that show an increased risk of complications of breast implants after undergoing standard CT or x-ray.

Breast Augmentation and Xrays

+1

The amount of radiation exposure from a CT scan will not effect your implants.When covered with lead, there is even less exposure. Your implants will not have any increased risk.

Michael Horn, MD

CT scan should not affect breast implants

+1

I agree that first of all even without a lead apron there would be no effects of "radiation" on your breast implants from a diagnostic CT; however, with the lead apron you are even more protected.  Nothing to worry about!

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

+1

Little to no irradiation should pass through a lead apron. You should have no concerns about any exposure you may have had. The levels of irradiation that have been associated with capsular contracture are treatment doses, not diagnostic doses. 

Thanks, best wishes.