What Are My Options If I Can't Breathe AT ALL Through Nose 3 Months Post-op?

My breathing feels stuffy and dry all the time. It's as if I need to blow something out of my nose but nothing comes out. My ENT said I have a deviated septum obstructing one side and the other has a swollen turbinate. What I wanted to know was did any doctor on here have cases where it took more than 3 months for the patients breathing to return to normal? Also, would 6 months after my rhinoplasty be too soon to have a septoplasty/turbinate reduction? I can't live any longer breathing like this.

Nasal airway obstruction following a rhinoplasty

+1

If you had a septoplasty and turbinate resection you should be breathing better at

3 months post surgery.   It sounds like you need to be re-evaluated to determine the exact cause of your continued nasal airway obstruction.  There may be scar tissue within the nose.  You could be extra sensitive to some type of allergen.  Your ENT surgeon will be in the best position to understand your condition.  

Options for Healthy Breathing

+1

Most patients are breathing better than before surgery within a few weeks of the procedure. The main reasons for poor breathing 3 months out include an undiagnosed or undercorrected deviated nasal septum, inferior turbinate hypertrophy, scarring inside the nose of the septum or internal valves, collapse of the external valves, hypertrophy of the adenoids or nasal polyps. The first thing to have is a thorough endoscopic exam by an otolaryngologist. Your breathing may still continue to improve over the next few months. At 6 months if you are not breathing well, then you are far enough out for corrective breathing surgery. It sounds like your ENT has a good idea of what's going on.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can't breathe three months after rhinoplasty

+1

In general, the airway is congested six to eight weeks after rhinoplasty. After that time, we need to consider causes such as a missed septal deviation, allergic rhinitis, etc. Simple measures such as a cold air humidifier, and nasal saline sprays will help until your physician has a chance to sort things out.