Affordable and Safe Breast Augmentation in Mexico?

I am looking for a breast augmentation surgeon in Mexico. Being that there is a significant difference between the peso and US dollar, I am under the impression this is possible to get quality surgery at a lesser price, not sure if I'm wrong in thinking this. I do not want to deal with a black market surgeon. Am curious on what questions I should ask the doctor about his credentials, etc. etc. Any help would be much appreciated! xo

Plastic Surgery away from home (Mexico and beyond)

+2
I don't recommend having surgery in another country as this can be risky - unqualified surgeon, what happens if their is a complication, no long term follow up, etc. See my link below

Couple of options - one being: financing, I recommenced contacting Care Credit or a similar well establish lending institution for cosmetic surgery. In the long run of course it will cost you more because of interest charges.

Choosing a plastic surgeon because of his/her cheap price is fraught with danger and selects in particular for non board certified surgeons often not even plastic surgeons who are advertising. One thing you might look for is an academic training center where plastic surgery residents supervised by their professors may have a "residents clinic" with steeply discounted rates. Be careful.

Web reference: http://drnichter.com/true-cost-medical-tourism/

Surgery in Mexico

+2

You have already answered your own question regarding the wisdom, or lack, of going to another country to have your surgery.  What if you have complications or need revisions?  The added cost of travel and lodging will offset any savings in the cost of the surgery.

Web reference: http://edelsonplastic.com/breast/breast-augmentation/

Safe Breast Augmentation in Other Countries?

+2

When you consider the cost of having cosmetic plastic surgery in another country, you need to consider the entire cost. The quoted price is not the entire cost of the procedure.  One must consider what is the price of having a complication, which can happen with any surgery, if your doctor is in another country?  What is the cost if you were to require follow-up consultations and examinations if your doctor is in another country? In addition, the standard of care including sterilization of equipment, available medications and supplies, the quality of the products being used may be different than what you will find in the United States.  All of these things factor into the safety of having surgery performed in another country.  What is the cost of having a complication or undesirable result repaired if your doctor is in another country.  You want to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedure, but keep in mind, not all countries have the same credentialing system or level of experience or expertise.  I sincerely believe that the cost of finding a qualified, board-certified plastic surgeon in the United States will end up being a better value for you in the long run.  Good luck and thank you for your question.  

Web reference: http://stevenringlermd.com/breast-procedures-grand-rapids/breast-augmentation/

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

+2

Dear Lallasa,

Thank you for the question.  I live in Phoenix/Scottsdale and have a quite regular flow of patients who have gone to Mexico for cosmetic surgery, then come to me to fix that cosmetic surgery.  Since Phoenix is close to the border, it is relatively easy and cheap to cross the border for surgery.  However, when you do this, you lose a lot of your rights as a patient.  The surgeon will say that he will fix any problems, but this has not been the case for many of my patients who needed to be fixed.  Also, consider that fixing a bad problem is usually much more difficult than not having a problem from the beginning.  The patients I fix end up paying more money for me to fix the problem than they would have for me to do the original surgery.  This plus whatever they paid their first surgeon, ends up being quite costly.  Consider having consultations with board certified and respected surgeons in your area.  The surgery may seem more expensive initially, but in the long run, you will be probably saving money and headache.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Medical tourism

+2

Hi Lallasa

In Australia we face similar questions from people going to Thailand to have breast augmentation. 

Here are some critical issues you need to consider:

1. Is it actually cheaper in the long run. Once you take in to account flights/accomodation for you and your partner. You certainly don't want to go over there by yourself.
  2. Who will follow you up? Even the best surgeons have complications that need minor touch ups. Medical tourism makes a margin on the knowledge that the surgeon never has to deal with his/her patient post-op. That burden falls onto the local health service. I saw a patient just this week who had a poor augmentation done in Thailand. She now faces the reality of starting all over again and paying Australian dollars to fix her breasts because she can't get access to her surgeon.
  3. What implants are they using? Medical tourism is a business and with any business they need to make money by cutting costs. One way they do that is by offering poor quality implants at a massive discount compared to the high quality implants that are available in the US and Australia. I would ask your surgeon what implant he/she is intending on using. I have removed many implants in Australia from botched Thai operations. Not one implant has been one that is available on the Australian market.
  4. The questions to ask your surgeon? Ask about his/her credentials, which they will always over exaggerate. I would ask what their follow-up arrangements they have. Not just for the first 2 weeks but the entirety of the implants life.

Anyway, I hope this has been helpful. 

Good luck

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+2

I would suggest that you search online for the stories of patients who have traveled to Mexico and other foreign countries for "cheaper" cosmetic surgery and suffered devastating complications, only to find that their surgeon is not available to assist them, that the clinic does not return their calls, and that they have great difficulty finding a U.S. plastic surgeon willing to take over their care and treat a foreign surgeon's complications.  Think twice, and in fact many times, before you travel abroad hoping to save some money on a procedure, the results of which you will be living with forever.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-surgery.html

Breast Implant Surgery in Mexico -- I doubt it's cheaper

+2

There are many board certified plastic surgeons (me included) who own our own surgery center, do high volumes of implants (200+ sets per year) and can therefore be very aggressive with our pricing and still deliver a quality product at an affordbale price. I am currently running an all inclusive silicone primary breast augmentation for $4500 cash or $4995 with financing. I doubt with travel to Mexico you can beat that price by enough margin to risk lack of FDA guarantee or oversight about the implant you may receive, and a non-board certified plastic surgeon. I've taken numerous faulty PIP implants (never approved for use in US) placed in central and south america, and frequently have patients calling with complications who have had liquid silicone directly injected into their breast. Not to mention what happens if you have a complication?

Web reference: http://www.bancroftfeldman.com/promotion/122-4500-breast-augmentation-special.html

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation in Mexico

+1

Medical tourism has become very popular in the last few years, but doesn't come without warnings. You can definitely get the surgery done cheaper.

There are excellent surgeons all over the world but many have lower fees because they do not provide protection for patients such as medical malpractice or hospitals do not have liability insurance. Some surgeons may have only training in general surgery and not specialties such as being Board Certified in Plastic Surgery. Sometimes inferior  breast implants are used.This would not be the case in the United States where implants are closely monitored by the FDA.

Personal medical insurance most likely will not cover a patient while out of the country, if a medical complication should arise, additional costs could be out of pocket. “Medical tourism” is typically excluded from travel insurance coverage. If a complication arises at home there will be a need to find a local doctor willing to take on a case with complications which can be very expensive, or travel back to the foreign country. Do some research and find out what other women say about their experiences. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/blog/the-reality-of-medical-tourism/