I Have an Upward Tilted Nose. Is There Any Correction Other Than Surgery?

Hello, my name is Brian. I have a slightly upwardly tilted nose. Whenever I look around when I'm in public I see that every other guy has a nose where the nostrils come back at about a 90 degree angle or maybe a little less. I don't necessarily feel bad about my nose because it really isn't bad. If you saw me right in front of you and facing you, you could see a little bit of the bottom of my nostrils. How come I have this and nobody else does? I'd like to say all photos have a window of error.

Nasal tip counter-rotation during rhinoplasty

+2

Unfortunately there is no great nonsurgical way to counter-rotate your tip (give you closer to a 90-degree angle).

Fortunately, with surgery this can be accomplished and give you excellent results.  Everyone's nose is different, and you were blessed with one that is slightly rotated up.  While you may want closer to a 90-degree angle, believe it or not, others seek a 100-degree angle or even more.  Everyone has their own sense of beauty.  

Nonsurgical, Injection Rhinoplasty May be an Option.

+1

Hello Brian,

Your situation is not totally unusual.  The angle between your nose and the lip on profile is a bit generous. Plus, the columella -- that vertical column separating the right and left nostril -- does not hang down much, which makes the bottom of your nose look flat, making it look even worse. And then you have the issue of the bridge being somewhat lower than the tip, so your nose has what we call the "spear-like" look.

It is possible to have some improvement with injection rhinoplasty, although personally, I would not commit to it until sample "Kotler Saline Demo" tests were done.  This would allow you to see the predicted results using saline solution, which absorbs shortly after the injection. 

A surgical approach would include lengthening the septum and, therefore, making the nose-lip angle more acute.  Likewise, the nasal dorsum could be filled with grafting tissue such as cartilage or fascia or even bone, according to the surgeon's choice.

Your situation, while not totally unique, is still very challenging, and I would suggest that several consultations be obtained with very specialized nasal surgeons who can show you photographic before and after examples of similar successful cases.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

robertkotlermd.com

Robert Kotler, MD

+1

There will not be a correction without surgery.  The nose can be effectively lengthened with cartilage grafts.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Correcting the naturally upturned nose with rhinoplasty.

+1

There really isn't a good way to correct the genetically upturned nose without rhinoplasty surgery. On the other hand, there are several techniques to correct the appearance of your nose to "de-rotate" the nose: cartilage grafts from your septum to lengthen the nose, deepening the nasal spine (the bony point at the junction of the nose with the upper lip) to create a less obtuse angle, and even advancing the lateral part of the ala (the edge of the nostril) upward to reduce the apparent angle of the nostrils.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of a Short Nose

+1

Apparently you have a short nose because of your genes. The only way to lengthen your nose and decrease the angle is with cartilage grafts taken from your septum or ear. You do not sound like this bothers you a lot; only you can decide if surgery is worth it.

Rhinoplasty is more than humps and big tips, noses can be lengthined too

+1

The most important part of rhinoplasty is to create a nose that fits your face. We can make noses smaller, which is much more common, but we can also make areas bigger. This includes lowering the tip of the nose. By using grafts of your own cartilage (taken from the nasal septum in primary cases), the tip of your nose can be lowered to a more balanced angle.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD