Upturned nose soon after rhinoplasty. Once swelling goes down, will the tip drop?

I am a male who had a closed rhino 4 days ago.One thing left me really concerned when I had the mustache dressing removed, my nose seemed too shortened and upturned, exposing my nostrils in the front. It feels like there is a 100 degrees angle between my nose and lip(I wanted a 90 degrees). Is it normal after the surgery? Can the swelling and taping contribute to this upturned look? Once swelling goes down and the cast is removed, will the nasolabial angle appear less obtuse and tip dropp a bit?

Tip Rotation after Rhinoplasty

+2

It is very common for the tip to appear over-rotated this soon after surgery due to swelling at the base of the nose and the taping. It will settle to it's natural position after the swelling subsides which can take a couple of weeks or more depending on the techniques used during your surgery. I routinely warn my patients about this so it's an expected temporary result. Hang in there, you have a good way to go in your recovery. Good luck.

Tip rotation

+2

The nasal tip almost always descends after surgery and it is slightly over corrected to compensate for that. Be patient and it will settle down.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Unwanted Upturned Nose After Rhinoplasty

+2

The answers to all of the questions you raised are, "Yes, yes and yes". It is quite normal for the taping and splinting of the nose immediately after surgery to result in an upturned appearance, and I try to forewarn my patients about this. We do this to give the tip extra support in the early healing phase, and it almost always settles down to the desired position shortly after the tape is removed and the swelling goes down. Sounds like you have nothing to worry about at this stage.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is not abnormal for the nose to be turned up following surgery, The tip will normally relax to its final position within a few weeks, and it may sometimes take longer depending on the patient. I would recommend following up with your surgeon regarding any post-operative concerns, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

With the tape on at 4 days, the tip can look very different. The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.