Upturned Nose After Rhinoplasty?

My 17 year old daughter had rhino/septoplasty 13 days ago to help her breathing. She had 3 bone spurs and a deviated septum blocking her airway. The doctor also corrected a bump on top of her nose. He asked about turning her nose up a little - I said no, yet her nose now is upturned and I hate it! We just had her splints removed yesterday and I'm hoping that the nose will settle or turn down some. I have to tell her I think it looks great, but she's worried too. Any suggestions?

Up turned nose

+1

At this point there typically is some swelling that will settle and lower the tip if specific steps were not done to cause rotation. Talk to your surgeon about his/her expectation of where the tip will end up. Remember that lowering a dorsal hump or removing tip fullness will always cause rotation unless specific steps are done to prevent it.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upturned nose after rhinoplasty

+1

WIthout an exam, I could not say, but commonly the nose is swollen and looks a bit more upturned than what will be the final result.  Be patient.

Upturned tip after rhinoplasty

+1
Some tip rotation is expected after rhinoplasty, and swelling, particularly after the first few days will accentuate the upturn and settle by the second week. Just our opinion, though over rotation of the tip or over shortening of the nose can be more difficult to correct later rather than sooner, an exception in rhinoplasty. If she is worried, she should discuss things with the surgeon right away. Computer imaging demonstrating the goal can help prevent unplesant surprises.

Septorhinoplasty

+1

Your daughter still has swelling that may cause the tip to look turned up. Give this sometime and speak with your surgeon about the procedure and what was done. I would suggest doing this in the privacy of the surgeon and not your daughter so that she will not be traumatized or over concerned regarding her results at this time. Hopefully all will settle and both will be happy with the end result. Best regards! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD