Upturned and More Bulbous Tip After Rhinoplasty?

I am 4 weeks post op from Rhinoplasty to rid my nose of a bump. Now, my tip is turned up. Will this come down?

The doctor denies touching the tip but my nose is shorter (less projected) and turned up so all you see are nostrils. Also, the tip is more bulbous than it was pre-op, is this just swelling?

Tip changes after Profile-plasty

+5

The answer to tyour question depends on many factors. Was a septoplasty done? If so, then swelling at the base of the nose from the septal work can cause temporary tip rotation and elevation. Was an open approach used? If so, then tip swelling is normal at 1 month, even if the tip was not worked on. Did the surgeon shorten the septum or cut the muscle that causes the tip to drop down when you smile? If so, then like septoplasty, swelling can cause some of what you describe, but not all of it will likely go away. Finally, some noses with very strong tip cartilages will rotate upwards after profile reduction alone is done.

Hard to say exactly without before and after photos, an operative report, and an examination. However, best to wait and see how things settle down over the next few months. If the surgeon says he or she did not touch the tip, then it probably should turn around soon.

Good luck

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's probably just swelling after Rhinoplasty

+3

I find that after rhinoplasty, the tip of the nose is often upturned a little and the tip appears more full. In my experience this is always due to swelling and always resolves over the course of several months.

Since you are not my patient, and I have not examined you, I can only speculate on your situation. Since it has been only 4 weeks, it is most likely that you're nose is still very swollen and that these changes you describe will improve once the swelling goes away.

John Diaz, MD

Just swelling.

+3

It takes a minimum of 6 months for the swelling to go down. The tip will drop and also be less bulbous with each month.

Common for nose to look upturned after rhinoplasty

+3

Yes, this is most likely swelling and will very likely resolve.

It is not at all uncommon for the nose to swell and create the appearance of a upturned nose.

Nose is still quite swollen

+2

Since it has only been approximately four weeks since your nasal surgery, the nose is still quite swollen. There are many different tip techniques that are performed on a rhinoplasty; it is impossible to tell what was done without looking at the operative report. The tip will tend to settle down over the next several months, upwards of a year, so be patient. Please check with your original rhinoplasty surgeon.

Blubous tip after rhinoplasty

+2

Too bad your tip is not where you want it.  This is most likely due to post-op swelling and in all likelihood will come down a bit as the swelling subsides. Have some patience before you get too upset.

A bulbous tip 1 month after rhinoplasty is mostly swelling.

+2

The tip of your nose will turn down in time due to gravity. In fact you may see the most within the first 6 months, so sit tight for now and enjoy the summer.

Tip swelling takes many months to settle down as well.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Give your Rhinoplasty results some more time

+2

It is common for the nasal tip to be overrotated initially right after surgery. Usually with many months the nasal tip will drop slightly depending on how the surgery was performed. This is unpredictable however. Having nasal tip swelling at 4 weeks is very normal and will likely significantly reduce in its severity with time.

It is important to see your doctor to make sure you are having no excess scar tissue building up underneath the skin which can slow down the resolution of the appearance of swelling. Ultimately, it takes 6-12 months to know what the end result of your rhinoplasty will look like. Hope that helps.

Samson Lee, MD

Swelling of the nose can make the nasal tip look large

+1

One must always expect some degree of swelling and bruising after a rhinoplasty.  The splint, since it compresses the soft tissue will keep some of the early swelling down.  Once this compression is removed the entire nose can swell.  Do not be discouraged, the swelling will gradually improve over the next few months.  Other than ice and elevation there is not much you can do to speed the process along.

Rhinoplasty - upturned

+1

At 4 weeks after surgery, you nose still hasn't settled into it's final shape.  It's not uncommon for it to take some time for patients to get used to seeing their nostrils after a large hump is taken down.  I always tell my patients to expect this.  It takes time to get used to a new nose.  Regardless, I would talk to your surgeon about your concerns and be patient!  It usually takes a few months for all the swelling to go down and to see your final result.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD