Upturn Nose After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I have had a Rhinoplasty 10 days ago to fix lowered tip and bumpy nose. I asked my surgeon to make horizontal projection of the tip with 90°. Doctor used open Rhinoplasty and reinforcement 'armoring' so tip is fixed forever. PROBLEM: The tip seems to be pointed up, instead of horizontal, also short. It really disturbs me as now nose looks a bit feminine. My surgeon, who is one of the best in the area, does not agree with me. What can be done to a bit improve nose looks with second operation?

Too up or just right?

+2

Early in the post op period, swelling in the upper lip lower columella can "push" the tip up a few millmeters. I would have some patience for 4-8 weeks. If it does not come down, you may want to consider revision earlier than later as it can be difficult to de-rotate a nose after it has really "fixed" into its final rotaion. Best of luck to you.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose will continue to derotate - should be a nice result

+2

It is very early in the healing process. I would guess that the nose will derotate as you heal more. At this point in time, I would say that your nasolabial angle is at the upper end of normal. Also, although the textbooks describe the nasolabial angle measured from a straight vertical line, I think that upper lips that angle back (like yours) can tolerate more rotation. For instance, if you upper lip was perfectly vertical, then your nose would look much more over-rotated.

Good luck and please make sure you discuss your concerns with your surgeon as well. 

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

10 days post-op is too soon to judge your result after rhinoplasty surgery.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your post-op photos:

You appear to have a nice result, and your tip will likely derotate a few millimeters over the course of the year. Try not to worry about this, as your results will improve with time.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph 

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Turn up post rhinoplasty nose

+2

If there was a fair amount of work done at your nasal base close to your lip then what you may be seeing is a marked degree of post operative swelling in this area. The swelling will make your nose look more turned up or rotated. It will settle with time and de-rotate. How is the swelling of your upper lip?

David Ellis MD FRCSC Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon at Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upturned Nose 10 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

An upturned nose 10 days after open rhinoplasty may well look more elevated than it will in a few months to a year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nasal tip position

+1

It looks like your surgeon did a nice job. The tip is very swollen and the tip may be slightly raised( it still looks goog) then were it will be in six months.