Would rhinoplasty be an option for me at all or is my skin too thick? (Photo)

I have very thick skin. Also my nose is very large and disproportionate to my face. I've researched some of my options and it seems that thick skin rhinoplasty procedures often have minimal results and I haven't seen any before and after photos of anyone whose skin is as thick as mine. I'm hoping for a smaller, less "plump" version of my nose and wondering if that's realistic? I'd rather not waste time or money if surgery wouldn't make a significant difference.

Rhinoplasty for thick skin

+1
Dear Perfectly_imperfect,
While you do have very thick skin and a somewhat of an amorphous tip, your profile view shows that you are severely under projected, so I believe that a rhinoplasty can help you. Something that you may want to consider is that augmenting your dorsum would give you a better or improved projection. The other thing about patients with thick skin is that we could actually thin the skin during the procedure in a very conservative manner and add a very strong underlying framework using cartilage grafts to give a better defined nose. So even though having thick skin is a slight disadvantage, you can have a very good looking nose through an appropriate rhinoplasty.

Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Noses with Thick Skin

+1
While unfortunately you have very thick skin, fortunately you have a short and under projected nose. Elongation and increasing nose projection is auspicious combination for patients who have thick skin. With proper adjustment of the underlying frame one can create more definition to your nose and the skin will respond favorably to tasteful stretching. You need to understand while expectation of some improvement is realistic it will be difficult, if not impossible, to create an ideal outcome. 

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip, large nostrils, short nose with thick skin.

+1
Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip, large nostrils, short nose with thick skin. I need to examine the thickness to give you a valid answer.

Would rhinoplasty be an option for me at all or is my skin too thick?

+1
While there are some limitations of what can be achieved in patients with thicker skin, the areas that concern you can be realistically improved with a rhinoplasty

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive ethnic rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon