Upper Lip Severely Swollen After Nose Tip Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Today is 12th Apr-13. On 8th Apr-13 I had rhinoplasty surgery for the tip of my nose only. I had the tip lifted up using cartilage from my ear. I believe quite a lot of cartilage was used connecting from the jaw to the top of the tip to pull the tip up. The surgeon has already confirmed he did not cut the depressor muscles in my lip. It has now been 4.5 days since the surgery and my upper lip is so swollen that I cannot touch my top teeth. It got worst on day 4. Why is this?Will it resolve soon?

Swelling After Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Since your face just underwent a major cosmetic surgery, it's very common to experience facial swelling near the incision site. Because of the location of the nose in relation to the mouth, it is normal for lips to swell for an initial period of time after a rhinoplasty. Over the next couple of weeks, any lip swelling you're experiencing should reside, though it's important to remember that nasal swelling after a rhinoplasty can last up to two years. If you're overly concerned, I recommend following up with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastynet.com/rhinoplasty.html

Swelling in lip

+1

Swelling in lip after rhinoplasty is common. Give it time to settle down this is very common.  Good luck.

Upper Lip Swelling after Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Lip swelling can occur after rhinoplasty surgery, particularly if a significant amount of dissection was performed.  In general swelling following any surgery is greatest approximately 3 days following the procedure and then should begin to resolve.  You should have an examination though by your surgeon if it does not begin to improve.  Swelling that persists or is associated with redness and severe tenderness could indicate an infection, although this is an uncommon situation it should be treated early if it does occur.

Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lip Severely Swollen After Nose Tip Rhinoplasty?

+1

If extensive tip work was performed and you are 4 days after rhinoplasty, swelling in the area and of the lip is not unusual.  You should see your plastic surgeon for an exam to determine if there is anything else occurring here.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Lip swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Take a deep breath and relax. Lip swelling after rhinoplasty in entirely normal. You should start to see a decrease in this over the next week. Remember to keep your head elevated when you are recumbent and avoid any strenuous activity for another couple of weeks.

Diana L. Elias MD

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon