Upper Lip and Left Cheek Numbness After Rhinoplasty?

I'm a 35 yr old male in NY and I had nose surgery 2 months ago. The surgeon made incisions in my mouth just above my canine's and I think it has made my upper lip permanently numb. Also, my left cheek is numb close to my nose. I've read about possible nerve damage and it seems that the numbness has not gotten any better for the past 3 weeks. Can I expect any additional nerve regeneration? Is there anything I can do to increase the healing time/outcome?

Upper Lip and Cheek Numbness Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Both problems are very rare after rhinoplasty, especially the cheek numbness. I agree that it does sound like a nerve injury. Sensation can improve for another 3-4 months. Continue to visit your surgeon to document your progress.

Numbness of upper lip and cheek after rhinoplasty.

+1

Numbness of upper lip and cheek after rhinoplasty is not common. It should improve over the next few weeks-if not see your surgeon since he knows what he did in the way of surgery.

+1

Upper lip numbness can occur with dissection along the lower, anterior (front) section of the columella during Rhinoplasty.  As far as the cheek numbness is concerned, I'm unsure why you'd have an incision in the canine fossa for a Rhinoplasty as this is typically reserved for a Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants or a Buccal fat pad removal.  This approach can rarely cause numbness from injury to the infra-orbital nerve.  You might want to discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for further clarification and recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1

There are a variety of different techniques that can be used during the rhinoplasty procedure. If aggressive tip work is necessary along with grafting then necessarily more dissection is required. I've noticed specifically that the nasal tip may be numb and stiff for up to 6 months. I've also seen the ocassional pain on smiling if I had to resect or divide a certain muscle that tethers the upper lip to the nose. In terms of overt lip or cheek numbness, I have not experienced this in my postoperative patients.  That being said, numbness and tingling may last for quite some time but full sensation almost always returns. Things to be reassured by are what we call paresthesias (tingling/electric shock sensations) and itching. These two sensations usually hearald nerve regeneration. Hope this helps!!

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon