Upper Lids Done 1 Week Ago. Had Very Small Crease So He Gave Me a Larger Crease. Swelling Impairing Eyesight, Will It Go Down?

He also removed fat from my inner eye by my nose. Now my inner eyelids near my nose are so swollen that it is covering part of my iris. Is the swelling because fat was removed and when will it go down. Do I also have more swelling because he increased my crease from 3mm to 7mm. Lori

+1

With the type of surgery you had done, it is common to have a large amount of swelling and that will cause the lid to not open well and can impair your vision. With time it goes down and improves. The main cause for the swelling is lots of surgery was done on the attachment of the skin to the tarsal plate and the skin there is very thin and swells easily.

Eyelid Swelling after Upper Blepharoplasty

+1

Skin swelling is expected after cosmetic surgery, such as eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty. While most of the swelling may resolve within 2 weeks, it's normal for some degree of swelling to last several weeks. One week after upper eyelid surgery is still very early to judge results. Cold compress, keeping head elevated, and avoiding salty foods may help minimize skin swelling.

However, you should speak with your plastic surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she be able to determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Way too early to worry.

+1

POstoperative swelling will last  a couple weeks and potentially much longer. Wait at least 3 months before worrying about this.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after surgery is normal.

+1

Some swell more than others.  Each day thing should get better.  Generally it is common to have a 1 week follow up visit with your surgeon.  This is a good opportunity to for your surgeon to see how you are doing.  I encourage you to share with them your concerns.

Swelling after blepharoplasty

+1
Hopefully if you read this it means you are doing better already. Swelling after blepharoplasty including fat removal is common however it sounds like you have a lot of swelling and for a prolonged time frame. Most patients have some swelling for the first twenty four to forty eigth hours and then minimal swelling from this point on. Sleep elevated and watch your salt intake, apply cold compresses, make sure you are using any prescribed ointment or drops in your eyes. See your surgeon and discuss with him/her your concerns and hopefully they can put your mind at ease and give you some instructions to help promote your healing process.

Michael Elam, MD

Healing after blepharoplasty

+1

healing after blepharoplasty:

• you may be better by the time you read this
  • swelling can take a few weeks to settle
  • ice helps
  • topical steroids such as tobradex are of benefit