Asymmetrical Upper Lip - Can I Get Lip Liposuction?

My upper left lip is noticeably larger than my right,and droops enough that I sometimes will bite it on accident sometimes when I'm eating. It also makes my smile look unbalanced. I'm very self conscious about it, especially when people comment on it. I have not had any type of lip enhancement, for the record. Is there such a thing as lip-liposuction? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Asymmetric lip

+2

Liposuction would not help your lip via fat removal since there is minimal fat in the lip. there is a possibility that there may be an abundance of sebaceous glands or mucuous glands in that side of your upper lip and although liposuction might remove some of them as it has been used in reducing sweat glands in underarms for those afflicted by increased sweating, it might be too traumatic, cause excessive swelling, bruising, and even ulceration and scarring. It would be investigative to do such a procedure on you. It would be safer to consider an excision via a mucosal approach on the thicker side. See a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction not a good idea in lips

+2

Liposuction is not a good idea in lips because there is usually not any "lipo" to suck.  Your photo seems to show some extra pink tissue of the lip which would best be taken care of with either an excision inside the lip so there is no visible scar or to determine if there is a reason this is more full.  It is not uncommon to have extra blood vessels in the lip or extra tissue as benign tumors (NOT cancers).

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

You are a great candidate for a lip reduction

+1

No, there is not lip liposuction. However, you would be a great candidate for lip reduction. You will need to have a thorough examination so the doctor can determine the best lip reduction procedure for your specific situation. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Lip reduction for asymmetry correction.

+1

The easiest way to correct your asymmetry is to have a left-sided lip reduction, This is a small procedure done with local anesthetic, and should have predictable results when perfomed by a Plastic Surgeon. the scar is placed on the inner "wet" margin so that it should not be noticeable.

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Lip asymmetry

+1

Everyone has some facial asymmetry.  As for lip liposuction it usually is not fatty tissue, more than likely it is excess muscle and skin that may need to be excised.

Liposuction of upper lip to correct asymmetry

+1

Liposuction of the upper lip would not help. If the diagnosis is secondary to nerve weakness, a course of physical therapy and biofeedback with computer animation and exercises would be very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Lip liposuction

+1

From your so kindly posted photo lip liposuction is a bad choice. Use fillers or even surgery lip elevation to correct the asymmetry. From MIAMI Dr. B